Unidentified Greens

Hi everyone,

I just got my 1st basket from my local organic farm’s CSA. Someone on this site mentioned CSAs in a post and I decided to try ours. The basket looks great (except for a couple of small green worms that freaked my kids out! LOL) but there’s a bundle of greens we can’t identify. The leaves are relatively small, round at the bottom and pointy at the end. There are some reddish purple flowers in there too. The leaves smell like lemons and weeds and have an astringent, but not unpleasant taste.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Comments

• Cambridge Scarlet Bee Balm Monarda didyma

Citrus-flavored leaves, with hints of orange and lemon. Use fresh whole or chopped leaves in recipes for curries and complements many fruits, including strawberries, oranges, apples, melons, and tangerines. Combines well with mint.

It could also be lemon thyme- that’s pretty common.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Can you call and ask them?

• Yeah, this is really pathetic, you guys. It’s freakin basil!!! I only figured it out because I have some in a label container in the fridge. Obviously I never use the stuff. Oh how pathetic!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Hehe. This is not encouraging me to go out there and pick edible weeds. I’m afraid I couldn’t be able to identify some of the common herbs which I rarely use. Funny, redicoverrawfood. Glad you figured it out!