Steam oven at 45 degrees celcius

mjsmoothmjsmooth Raw Newbie

Hi there I am new to 100% raw. At the moment I aim for 65/35

I have a steam oven that has a temperature range of 40 to 100 degrees.

I understand from the raw community that cooking over 42 causes nutrients to be killed off.

My question is if I set my steam oven to 40 degrees and cook my veggies for a couple

hours would this still be considered raw.

Many Thanks

MJ

Answers

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I'm not sure but it's a really interesting concept. Would it lightly steam the vegetables?

• mjsmoothmjsmooth Raw Newbie

No, it doesn't actually "steam" them as steam is only created at  100 degrees. The book that came with the steam oven recommended using 40 degrees to prove dough for bread making. So no steam is actually created its just a warm moist atmosphere.

I did a test at  40 degrees to try a raw veg soup, I  put lots of finely chopped veg and cold water and some stock .

I left it for 90 minutes and it had only slightly softened and warmed the veggies through.

I will keep experimenting, but I think it would still be considered raw.  The only way would be to test it scintifically measuring nutrients before and after the "cooking" process,  which sadly I would have no idea how to do.

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

You might be right about it still being raw. Even dehydrators have some heat. Let me know how your experiments go! smile