To buy gadgets or not to buy gadgets?

wildebeestwildebeest Raw Newbie

I've been eating at least one raw meal everyday for the past few days and I'm really enjoying it. I would like to purchase something that could help increase the variety of food I'm consuming. I currently have a small food processor, which is honestly not great, but can do pestos, hummus, and chunky looking smoothies. 

I am contemplating purchasing a spiralizer and a blender. I'm assuming these are worthwhile purchases. And does anyone have any suggestions for products that are affordable and work well? I'm set on buying a blender, but I wonder if the spiralizer is a bit gimmicky (one non-raw non-vegan friend has already told me they want to borrow it if I buy one, just to make curly fries, haha).

ClaireT

Best Answers

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master
    Answer ✓

Spiralizers are really fun but probably unnecessary. A good blender though...that is a life saver. I went through a few cheap ones (and killed the motor on each in a year or less) before settling on a higher end model. 

wildebeest
    Answer ✓

There are a bunch of threads around here on blenders. You'll want something that can handle anything you throw at it (well, technically you would be throwing into it). 

smile

wildebeest

Answers

• wildebeestwildebeest Raw Newbie

Thanks Claire. Looks like I'm going to start researching blenders now.

ClaireT
  • wildebeestwildebeest Raw Newbie
    ClaireT said:

There are a bunch of threads around here on blenders. You'll want something that can handle anything you throw at it (well, technically you would be throwing into it). 

smile

I think I might save up for a vitamix. My friend has one and it's magic in action.

• annesannes Raw Newbie

I have a spiralizer and love it - there are not that expensive.  Using it on zucchini all the time.. need to try more things with it!  Invested in a Vitamix a few years ago and use is at least once a day, often more.  Hardest working appliance I have... 

ClaireTwildebeest

Vitamix is definitely one of the better ones out there. cool I can't manage to kill mine, and that says a lot by itself. 

wildebeest