How to make honey crystalize

foothikerfoothiker Raw Newbie

I like crystallized honey.  To eat.  But I'm having a hard time crystallizing honey that I buy from the store.

Low temperature is supposed to crystallize honey.  So I put it in the refrigerator, or even the freezer for a while.  But nothing happens.  Not even after a month or two in the fridge, which goes down to the mid 30s. 

What am I doing wrong?  I've tried mixing different types of honey, freezing it (down to 0) for a while then moving to the fridge, but nothing works.  Meanwhile, I go to the store and see honey for sale on the shelf in a 70 degree environment. 

Answers

• TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

I think it depends on the honey you start with. The less filtered, the better. 

• valentinakvalentinak Raw Newbie

If the honey is really row it's crystallized itself in about a month or two in room temperature.

This is happens because the energy stores better in set or crystallized honey.

If the honey doesn't crystallized then it was been heated to make it liquid

for better sells. I buy row honey from beekeeper.

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

We have a local guy who sells it already crystallized and still fresh from the hive. It's divine! 

• foothikerfoothiker Raw Newbie

TammiTrue said:

I think it depends on the honey you start with. The less filtered, the better. 

Thanks.  But how do you get honey to crystallize?  Occasionally I see a jar of crystallized honey on the store shelf, but it's a small jar and too expensive.  I buy the bulk size, which is never crystallized.  So how do it get it to start crystallizing? 

I've left some of this honey in my fridge for months and nothing happens.  Also, what causes honey to crystallize in nature (I don't mean seeding, but the natural process).