Is it possible to be raw on a college budget???

raincloud128raincloud128 Raw Newbie

I eat A LOT of raw fruits and vegetables but I am very underweight and need to start gaining some pounds. I need to invest in nuts, seeds and grains but how is this going to be possible on my (VERY) small college budget? Yes I know the advice "buy in bulk" but it feels like when I buy a pound of cashews and almonds, they are gone in a mere couple of days after using them for pates, etc. I only have to feed myself but how do I organize my meals so that I don't have to buy a ton of expensive produce and other things every single week??? Ugh HELP! Thank you. 

ClaireT

Answers

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Hi :)

That's a tough one, but I know people who do it.

Do you do any sprouting? 

Are bananas or avocados ever cheap there? I'm thinking about stuff with calories. If the bulk nuts are disappearing that fast, it's probably because you should be eating more bulky foods. 

I'm going to have to think more on this.

• CreativelyccCreativelycc Raw Jr. Leader

That is a very challenging task to accomplish but not impossible. Start by making a meal plan of foods you would like to eat for the week - breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks and only buy ingredients for foods that are on the list. I find this helps me out. This way you will not by anything that is not on your list. Without a list you may be more prone to picking up extras making your bill higher. Buy vegetables and fruits that are in season. Are you drinking smoothies?

ClaireT
  • veggieveggie Raw Newbie

I was mostly raw for much of college and budgeted like anything else: Find the cheapest sources of each kind of nutrition, get a few *really simple* favorite recipes, and ensure you have time to prepare your own meals.  Some of the cheaper and usually fairly accessible raw foods are: 

• Bananas
    • Apples
    • Sunflower seeds (Trader Joe's or health food store in bulk)
    • Pumpkin seeds (Trader Joe's or health food store in bulk)
    • Romaine lettuce
    • Kale
    • Carrots
    • Oranges
    • Farmer's market surplus (go at the end of the market--they're usually willing to sell for a discount)
    • Tomatos
    • Herbs grown indoors
    • Flax seeds (usually in bulk at the health food store)
    • Other seeds for sprouting

Planning to make a bunch of complicated recipes will ultimately lead to burnout with this lifestyle, so experiment until you find a few good staples you can make quickly and easily.  This for me meant:

• Smoothies
    • Trail mix from various home-dried fruits, seeds, etc.
    • Zucchini noodles
    • Dried fruit/nut/seed bars
    • Giant salads

I pretty much never bought nuts because I simply couldn't afford them in my budget.  I never spent more than about $2/lb on fruit.  Buying leafy greens was a "necessary luxury", and I made sure to buy them even though they're relatively low in calories.  There were certain things which were just too expensive for me to justify as sustainable in my budget, and so I never bought them except on special occasions. 

ClaireT
  • nicoliam Deletednicoliam Deleted Raw Newbie

It's difficult but possible. I know well how hard studying can be sometimes. Just imagine how much energy your brain needs to be able to achieve best results. But I think you have to let your body rest a bit. And it is possible! 

ClaireT