Need some help changing to raw

jeandjeand Raw Newbie

Hi all!

The raw food diet is completely new to me, i came across it by accident and would love to give it a try.  

I suffer with weight problems and i think this would really help me.

So i need your help.... where do i start? Do i gradually change to raw or go straight for it? Is there any recipes you would recommend i try first?

TIA

Comments

• sabrinasabrina Raw Jr. Leader

Hey! I think going into it gradually is best (that's what I did anyway).  I started by doing the raw till 4 thing (raw breakfast and lunch and then a cooked meal for dinner).  Then I transitioned into eating all raw except for maybe one or two cooked meals per week; I did this for about 6 months.  Then I dove in to 100 percent raw.  I've been 100 percent raw for a little over a year now and I absolutely love it! I recommend doing the 80/10/10 lifestyle (80 percent carbs, 10 percent fat and 10 percent protein).  I tried out the gourmet, high fat version at first and I felt horrible.  Once I switched to 80/10/10, I felt amazing! Check out this video, it gives you a formula for how eat.  This video is actually what helped me out the most when I first started out, it made everything make sense. 

I hope that helps! Good luck! :)

Also, when you first start out you will definitely have cravings for cooked foods.  Try eating raw "junk" food when this happens (kale chips, flax crackers, raw granola etc.) These will help get you through the cravings.  But taper off of them once you become more a more seasoned raw foodie. Even though these foods are raw, they should still be eaten in moderation.

ClaireT
  • jeandjeand Raw Newbie

Hi Sabrina,

Thanks so much for your reply!  I love the idea of the 80/10/10 lifestyle and i am going to google it now.

The video is amazing and she gives such brilliant advice. Dont like the idea of eating a whole bunch of bananas as a meal though!

ClaireT

Yeah, eating a whole bunch of bananas isn't for me either.  I usually just put several in a smoothie or I love making banana "nice cream" with cacao or carob powder.  It tastes just like chocolate ice cream! 

This book might be very helpful to you, it was for me. https://www.amazon.com/80-10-Diet/dp/1893831248/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487093280&sr=1-1&keywords=80+10+10

ClaireT
  • RequisiteRequisite Raw Newbie

Check out the youtube videos of John Rose. He has immense knowledge in this field. Here's a video-"Best Transition To A Raw Vegan Diet". Good luck.

• jeandjeand Raw Newbie

Thanks so much for all your replies, i have started and it isn't gone the best.  I think i need to do a reset and start fresh.  I found this really good site when i was googling.... https://www.diet-health.info/en/recipes/ingredients  It takes ingredients and breaks them down in to nutritional value, culinary uses etc and they have some really nice recipes as well.  they have also done quite a few book reviews which i found very helpful.

ClaireTTammiTrue
  • TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

That's a very reasonable way to approach it, via looking at the nutrient levels in everything. I've ended up with some pretty tasty new recipes just by trying to combine the right foods needed to get all possible vitamins, minerals, etc.