Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

dry hands on a 100% raw diet?

schwam66schwam66 Raw Jr. Leader

Greetings everyone just wanted to ask the question to see what others have experienced and what they use. I have always had dry skin in the colder months and used a lotion/cream called 'glysolid' which was about the only thing that would work to help relieve the cracked and sometimes bleeding hands that i would encounter.

Have been 100% raw now for over 2 months and its warmer here now but still having the struggles that i normally only used to get in the cold months....I have at least 2 green juices a day as well as a sweeter grape or pineapple i juice then a huge salad for supper with avacados,peppers,carrots,mushrooms and a lovely dill sauce...i pound the water as well having at least 2 liters(maybe this isnt pounding, 2 liters seems alot when i have 1.5-2 liters of juice as well) ontop of the juices so i should think i am getting enough hydration and good clean eatting??

The wife wants me to go see a doctor now which i really dont want to do as i dont believe they are really of much use other than to get you on a product that you need the rest of your life!! not sure if its just a case of continue with the glysolid(which i would rather not as there some crazy stuff in it dont know what half of it is!!)or if there is anything else anyone recommends, i do wash my hands alot having 3 kids and cleaning up but nothing more than i used to  so dont think that is a huge issue or reason behind the dry hands??? even so is there a liquid soap that anyone recommends to use, at the moment i switched to a dettol/e45 mix in the hopes that it was the imperial leather soap i was using might have been the issue, seems a little better but still hands get quite bad. No dry skin anywhere else other than the hands.

Anything at all to help or any hints or tips you guys use would be great, and anything more natural based than this stuff i am currently using would be wonderful, have wanted to get away from it and get something more natural but they get so bad need something thats quite strong and this stuff has always worked well...

thanks agian.

ClaireT

Answers

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Burts Bees have a few good products for chapped and dry hands, with mostly natural ingredients. I'd give them a try. 

• MyHealingJourneyMyHealingJourney Raw Newbie

Hey Schwam66,

I looked up the Dettol soap you have been using and no wonder your hands are so dry!

Steer clear from any "antibacterial" soaps as these have been known to be very drying. One popular antibacterial soap here in the states is called "Dial" and its best to stay away from them. The soap I love using is Dr. Bronner's lavender bar soap, which I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding.  There is different scents and also in the liquid form, but after trying both I prefer the bar soap. 

Claire has recommended a great brand (Burt's Bees) so you can't go wrong using their products as well. 

• schwam66schwam66 Raw Jr. Leader

thank you both very much, i had always read antibacterial wasnt very good but had always used so figured it was down to something else, but will get rid and try both of your suggestions. thanks again.

ClaireT

Let us know if it helps :)

• CatherineRCatherineR Raw Superstar

Fats are your friend when it comes to dry skin/hands. Eating more fats may help, and using coconut oil on the hands may also. Since you posted this a few months earlier I'll hope everything is better for you!

Harmony1
  • Matt_RawMatt_Raw Raw Jr. Leader
    I found that during my transition to raw a side effect was dry hands. I've also struggled with dry hands for the last four years, I used to put a lot of cream on them after work but I could never do enough to keep them from cracking. When I cut out meat, wheat and dairy they were worse than ever, and it lasted at least four months, without working too, which had always been the cause. But now I'm finding they are able to cope with work much better then ever before. They still get dry, but don't crack, and I wet them more regularly at work then I used to. My best advice is to avoid washing them whenever possible, as I do believe wetting them and then having the water evaporate is a large cause. Then try and wait out the worst months. It gets better. And 100% about the coconut oil. Start putting that on at night, it's very soothing, and my hands feel a lot better the next morning.
    Harmony1ClaireT

I recommend coconut oil as well. It's pure, simple, and works. 

Matt_Raw
  • schwam66schwam66 Raw Jr. Leader

thanks everyone for the continued replies, switched soaps a month or so back to non antibacterial which helped BIG time, i always read and knew in the back of my mind not to be using antibacterial but never did it, was fine except for the winter when i had issues and just used lotions at night, still experiencing dry cracking, probably my own fault i should probably be moisturizing each night ill try to do better and be using the coconut oil, i used a badger lotion i found in the drawer ingredients>>organic extra virgin olive oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, beeswax, and essential oils of rosemary, peppermint, balsam fir, eucalyptus, tea tree and cardamom

hand felt great the next morning but it didnt last long by the end of the day the relief i had was gone and actually seemed to be cracked and sore even worse than before, so maybe something in there isnt as good as was made out to be, but will get the coconut oil and be using that as i am half way there as changing soaps has helped...

thank you all again for your help!

Matt_RawClaireT

You're getting there :) I'm happy that you have had some improvement.