I'm afraid of zucchini!

Barking UnicornBarking Unicorn Raw Newbie
Hello. I guess I wouldn't call myself a raw eater, but I have recently started to add more whole fruits and vegetables to my diet while trying to chuck as much processed junk as possible. I got a spiralizer and dehydrator and was gung-ho about using them until I learned that raw zucchini and sweet potato, among other things, have been known to cause nausea and vomiting in some people. I have a severe phobia of vomiting, and now I am afraid to touch those two foods, or anything people say to avoid consuming raw. The problem is that zucchini in particular seems to be everywhere in the raw diet, and no one seems to have a good suggestion other than cooking it. Cooked veggies - yuck. I don't want to limit all the cool stuff I can try because of this. Any suggestions? Thanks.
ClaireTJanace

Comments

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Maybe you could use cucumber in place of zucchini or maybe plantain or another veg instead of sweet potato? I'm not a huge fan of eating most root vegetables raw myself...well, I guess there's still radish... but in general. 

Janace
  • JanaceJanace Raw Jr. Superstar

You can substitute yellow squash. It works great and does not have the mild bitter taste zucchini can sometimes have.

ClaireT
  • CatherineRCatherineR Raw Superstar

Interesting, I've never heard it can cause vomiting! Peeling zucchini might help, but I find it one of the most monotone-tasting veggies, so I'm not sure how it can be nausea-inducing. 

Carrots are another good food to spiralize. I add some salt to mine and let it sit for a bit to soften them into more bendy noodles. 

ClaireT
  • EastOfVeganEastOfVegan Raw Newbie
    When I was a kid we used to pick them straight off the vine and wash them gently then eat them. I am severly nauseas all the time from a few medical conditions, I can count on one hand the number of times in life barring a stomach flu it has gone further. Zuccini, raw or otherwise has never made me sick! Make an effort to check for mold/freshness, smell test, and a good wash- you should be just fine. I'd feel safer eating zucchini raw than a lot of other produce (not that I view most edible plants as dangerous anyway), and it is one of the easiest to grow at home so you can be absolutely sure of the supplier in many climates too! The water source is a bigger determinant in the safety of edible raw foods than the plant itself, I would imagine.
    ClaireT