Healthy fat ration

dondondondon Raw Newbie

Hi Everyone, I started on my raw food journey seven weeks ago now and am aiming for the 80-10-10 ratios, which seem to achieve the best result for weight loss. I have lost around 12 lbs so far but my fat ratio can be anywhere from 10-18% of my overall 2100-2200 calories, despite trying really hard to get it right! I was just wondering what other people's experiences have been and whether they have achieved their weight loss goals without sticking rigidly to 80-10-10? Thank you so much :)

ClaireT

Comments

• JanaceJanace Raw Jr. Superstar

I am focusing on 80/10/10 right now because I fell into eating way too much fat (30-40% of my overall 1600 calories). I am 5'2". I have lost about 13 pounds on 80/10/10 to get back to an ideal weight for my build and stature. I am feeling so much better. I was eating way too many nuts previously. Now I range from 8% to 16%. It fluctuates daily but I am happy with this range. I think you need to be okay with the fluctuation because by the end of the week it often averages close to 10%. I have cut out oils and sweeteners (I will sweeten with dried fruits such as dates, figs, apricots, etc.). I eat a lot of fruit and greens together. I have found that the addition of the greens keeps me satiated. Since fruits and vegetables naturally have some fat I limit my addition of fat to one meal a day (i.e. adding avocado, nut butter, coconut yogurt, hemp hearts, tahini, etc.). When I make dressings for salads I will use celery and/or zucchini to bulk it up rather than nuts. It really makes a huge difference in your daily fat % and you don't have to be stingy with the dressing. I think if you are too rigid it may not work for you. It took me a little bit to keep working on reducing the fat and to see what worked for me. I tell you the reduction to 10% fat did not happen overnight for me. I really like the way I feel on 80/10/10 and it will make it very easy to maintain my weight by eating this way. Once you understand what works for you it can be very sustainable for the long term.

Matt_RawClaireT
  • dondondondon Raw Newbie

Thank you so much Janace, that's really helpful. I hadn't thought about the average over the week either, good point. Since writing that post I too have stopped having fat with every meal which has helped bring my percentage down considerably. Before I was still hung up on 'getting enough healthy fat' and was trying to cram nuts, seeds, chia seeds, flax and avocado in somewhere every day! Now I see I don't need to do that to get adequate amounts wink

JanaceClaireT
  • JanaceJanace Raw Jr. Superstar

So glad this was helpful Dondon!

ClaireT