stranger in a strange land

stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

well, i’ve been doing the raw thing for over two months now (with the exception of the occasional coffee or tea with cream in it) as far as my health goes it has been wonderful, the improvements have been VERY dramatic in a short period of time. i know i’ll never go back to the way i was eating before. lately, in the past couple weeks, i’ve been experiencing a real disconnect with people. now, mind you i have always felt i was different than most “average” people, and i was fine with that. this is a different feeling. its not so much when i’m with people i’m familiar with—like my clientele at work. its when i go in public, to the market or retail stores, it’s like i don’t even feel human! i feel completely disconnected, alienated and weird. that is the best way i can describe it. these last few days it has got me feeling kind of down. i’ve read that doing this diet, we literally vibrate at a different frequency, so perhaps i’m really feeling that now. also, i’ve been feeling so high at times that i’m damn near tripping/ hallucinating! i was hoping eventually i would feel grounded, but it is just the opposite, the longer i go eating this way the spacier i get. i have a support group in town that i meetup with, and this helps, as does this website, but i feel like i am spinning further and further out of orbit, and i have to reel myself in from compulsive thoughts and just plain wackiness. could this still be detox? i experienced a relatively mild detox in the beginning, i was feeling really stable at the 2 month point, and then this. do we go through waves of detox?

Comments

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I just read about B-12 as well as other deficiencies and how they cause paranoia, memory problems including dementia and hallucinations…now please don’t think I’m saying you are going coo-coo ok? :) I’m not saying that at all, I am just wondering if maybe you are lacking a mineral or vitamin, or the balance of nutrients in your body are out of balance to make you feel this way? I was reading about this last night in a book called: Prescription for Nutritional Healing. I’ll look thru the book tomorrow and see if I can find that info for you. I do not think that you should feel spacy or disconnected from eating raw foods…glad you have a support group in town (sure wish we did here!) and goneraw.com is full of people with such great advice! Also, do you think that this feeling corresponds with your monthly cycle and it could possibly be hormone triggered? I sometimes feel that way some months :P. I promise to look for that info for you tomorrow when my eyes are more open ;)

Have you checked your blood sugar levels when you feel this way?

• Hi Stylist Chick! When you go to your support group do you feel the same? I was thinking that if you ate quite a bit of tuna in the past it may be the mercury working it’s way out. I have wondered the same thing. Not that I have the same symptoms that you have but I have noticed specific things like I took a supplement that was supposed to increase memory and then I kept doing the same thing all day which was double type letters and after it wore off I stopped. Do you have any other symptoms like seeing colors more vividly or smelling more accutely? I think rawmama could be right but if you already take a supplement and don’t feel depleted then it could be something else. It could be over eating a certain vitamin, or too much copper (from nuts). I had something weird happen at WHole foods- I was standing there in the middle of produce and thought I want some parsley and some fell off the shelf a split second after I say that. Then I thought, I want some spinach and that fell out of the cooler. It was pretty weird. But it could have been a coincidence. What is yours day like? Do you start out with fruits smoothies or something else, and do you have a set menu per say? If you change what you eat in the morning, do you feel differently? I heard whole towns in the middle ages would act crazy from ergot contamination in wheat or rye. Have you been eating any soaked grains lately? I also read how certain foods help kill viruses and wonder if that can have an effect on how we feel- like if there are viruses that attach to neurons that have to unattach and we have an actual change in our neurochemistry when this happens, and when other things like mercury are chelated and released.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

But stylist chick, was they way you were on cooked foods sane? I really don’t think that “normal” is right or sane!

I recognise that “highness” you are talking about, and I have come to believe that it is my optimal natural state. It has made me think that before I went raw I must have been depressed, although I would never have described myself that way. The difference between my mood then and now is so huge.

I have worked hard for the last 10 years to create a lifestyle and a self employed career which supports my “individuality”. Consequently, I never am in a situation where I have to be like everyone else, or “normal”. That mask is too tiresome to wear, and it feels fake to dampen myself down so that other people feel more comfortable.

I am usually high as a kite and ecstaticaly happy. I am not in a prison of limiting beliefs, or physical/spiritual/mental decay. This leads to free thinking and free acting. I have always been a bit like this, but since going raw, it has completely become who I am.

I sympathise with you because I know that you are among people every day who probably are the same day in day out…and you most definately are not, it must feel very alienating.

I feel that you will get used to it, and you will become more confident as time goes on and you know more about the new you. I also think that you are maybe just getting out of old limiting beiefs and feelings, detoxing emotionally and mentally… and as you shed the old outdated parts of yourself, the new you feels raw and strange. I’m sure that that as you go on you will draw new people to you who are more like the new you.

BTW, My detox has gone in waves. It is about 1 1/2 years 100% raw and I get on a level and then go whoosh every couple of months or so. I have felt different to everyone else at times during my journey, this was at the start. But lately, the overall effect of going raw has been the opposite, I feel more deeply connected to people than ever before, and I feel more deep love for people than ever before.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

thanks for the responses. i’m feeling a little better today. i am a type 1 diabetic, so blood sugar is always a part of my mood, but oddly i feel i am going low and then i check and i am usually slightly elevated. i never ate much tuna at all, but i did eat a fair amount of salmon, especially in the past 2 years since i became diabetic. i was on anti depressants for at least 3 years, at least 3 different drugs. i went off all meds, except for the insulin last november. now i am thinking it could be the psychiatric drugs, i was also on a sleeping pill for a while with the SSRI’s. some days the high feeling is great, but lately these last few days i feel dizzy. i just got my eyes checked, and got new glasses, but my prescription hasn’t changed in 5 years.

as far as b12 goes, i suppose it could be a defficiency, how long does it take before you become deficient? i’ve only been raw for a little over 2 months.

my diet: i really don’t comsume grains at all because i’ve found out i have celiac disease, so if i have bread or crackers (rarely) it is flax seed. the first month raw i was eating alot of carrot juice and salads, then i got to the point of not craving vegetables at all, it was fruit all the time and cashews. now lately i have been forcing myself to eat some greens and go back to drinking carrot juice. i’ve cut back on the nuts and olives because i’m trying to shed weight. i feel like i eat all day long, but maybe i’m not eating enough, i eat very small meals. i don’t want to eat too much because then i’m injecting insulin every hour.

my mood and energy are waaaaay better since going raw, i’m not in constant pain—which was from eating wheat. i’m definately happier, but i’m a little freaked out at times.

should i try taking a b12 supplement? or just except it as detox?

Hi stylistchick, I have no idea how long it takes before B-12 is low, but you could take a B-12 supplement to see if it makes a difference…it has to be cellular, go to the cellular level, not just blood level. www.hippocrates.com has one called B-12 Forte and also this one: LifeGive Ocean Energy 90 Caps Item #878801006251 Your Price: 19.50 I looked up in the book some today and cannot find where I read about the nutrients. I know that Brian Clement from Hippocrates said that dementia is caused by a B-12 deficiency. I know that a drug used for Parkinson’s can cause paranoia and hallucinations, and was told by another source that lead in the brain can cause parkinson’s and alzheimers (I was researching Parkinson’s for a family member). Hippocrates also sells a liquid called “Brain” that will clear up your mind and give you clarity and help with memory. I’ll keep on looking and will update when I find that info.

I do wonder if your sugar is contributing to the issue. Have you tried green smoothies? I have seen them help people with sooooo many ailments mental and physical, and quickly also, within 1-2 weeks time. When I had gestational diabetes, I was told to stay away from lots of fruits and fruit juices. If I had any fruit, I was fine if I put ground up flax seed over it or ate a handful of nuts afterwards…I know that’s not the best food combining, but it kept me totally stable when I monitored my blood. You can make smoothies with very little fruit, or make savory smoothies with vegetables so it sort of is like a soup or a v-8. I add trocomere to those to give them flavor because I love the ingredients, perfect with vegetables :) At least this way you will be getting nutrients and calories that you might be missing if you are eating very small meals. You have to eat to survive and feed those cells :) Also, a friend of mine went to a seminar on combating diabetes, and they said that IMMEDIATELY after eating anything, get up and exercise for 10 minutes (more if you want to)...it will retrain your body on how your body deals with insulin.

I don’t know about detox as much as others, sounds like you got some great advice from Zoe…my detoxing seemed/seems to be more with skin and hair conditions.

• Hi Stylist chick! I agree with raw mama about the eating less fruit and more green especially early in the day. http://www.healthbulletin.org/herbs/herbs21.htm

I also seem to talk about it a lot but fenugreek might help. It’s supposed to help with blood sugar levels.

I think you are also right I have heard about people having certain chemicals in their blood months after they have taken them because either they are losing weight or something they have eaten has chelated the substance.

I don’t think you are b12 deficient because like you said you have only been raw for a couple months. It’s possible that you need another b vitamin thogh so a b complex is what I would recommend.

That sounds really drastic if you have to inject insulin every hour! Ouch! That would persuade me to go for the vegies instead. A creamy nut soup is a good substitute for a fruit smoothie in the morning, and my mock chicken salad is actually good in the morning on a slice of cucumber.

Purslane the herb has omegas in it. Next to flax seed and oil it would be a good thing for you to add to salads. It grows wild a lot of places or you could buy the plant- it tastes really good.

Have you tried crimini mushrooms? They are really good and high in zinc. Shitaki would be good too to add to a miso soup.

I wouldn’t accept things as they are, I would keep trying if I were you to get to a place where you can feel comfortable. I’d say focus on foods that help your immune system like shitaki, green tea, garlic and apple cider vinegar which halps maintain blood sugar as well.

I hope you can get better or find something that helps soon. Maybe you should try to take a nap and take it easy too. It could be a little stress related.

I forgot to mention that I just listened to a TERRIFIC cassette tape by Bruce Fife about organic virgin coconut oil and diabetes! Seems as though taking 3-6 T. for healing per day does amazing things for people. You can also eat young coconuts instead or in addition to adding coconut oil to your foods or smoothies. He mentions cancer, tumors, diabetes, aids, and so many more illnesses that have amazing results in healing with the use of coconut oil. Maybe that would be a great thing for you to add to your diet. I like young coconuts, drink the water and add the meat to smoothies or freeze it for future use. We use the coconut oil for any marinating and in smoothies also. He says 1-2 T. for daily use if not needed for healing.