Low income raw living?

szussannaszussanna Raw Newbie
Hi, I feel I need to address something overlooked, it seems, by the raw community. I am new to raw and do the best I can. I was in a car accident years ago leaving me with brain damage and seizures...hence, I'm on disability long-term. My income is $814.00 per month. With $450.00 in rent, plus utilities and phone expenses, you can imagine not much is leftover. I do get about $120.00 in food stamps per month, which although I'm grateful for, it doesn't go far. Also, I can't drive, so relying on public transportation makes it hard to get to grocery stores. My point? Most raw foodists advise buying mostly organic produce. This is out of the question for me. I eat very simply and try to be creative, but I must say that it seems that people in low income situations are never considered in the raw community. Most raw-living proponents I'm sure have good intent, many are preachy, but I just want to give a voice to a reality that's not addressed in the raw community. Any thoughts? Thank you for listening.

Comments

• RondrekaRondreka Raw Newbie

Hi! I am glad you mentioned this.... It can be very expensive with all of these extravagant recipes. I only buy organic when I can afford it. I stick to eating a lot of bananas because they are cheap. I get a lot of my fresh produce in bulk from costco  (a typical costco run includes huge bags of kale, broccoli, spinach, 6 pack of avocado, flax/chia seeds, celery and around 60 bananas). Berries, apples and oranges etc are only purchased when they are on sale... With costco there is a membership fee but they send you the money back at the end of the year if you spend a certain amount of money in the store. I eat all of the food I have already bought before buying more (even if im not in the mood to eat it). I only buy nuts/seeds when they are on sale because otherwise I wouldnt be able to afford it. I am currently raw vegan and my husband and son are just vegan. We stick to very plain recipes. I originally went vegan when I was on government assistance and couldnt work. I cant afford to buy 100% organic and I dont make a big fuss about it. Non organic raw food is much better than eating animal products or other processed foods. wink

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Do you have room for a garden or a few potted plants in the window? It's not everything but its a start. 

I have an endless supply of watermelon in the summer - all from some effort and about $10 in supplies. 

• SudhirKumar DeletedSudhirKumar Deleted Raw Newbie
    edited May 2023

I hear you, and I totally agree. It's frustrating how the raw community seems to overlook the reality of low-income living. I'm sorry to hear about your situation, and I hope things get better for you. As for organic produce, it can be expensive and difficult to obtain, especially if you're on a tight budget and rely on public transportation. Have you considered growing your own produce, even if it's just a small herb garden? It might be a more affordable option.