Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

gums receeding

omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

well, ive had a pretty rough couple of weeks, and havent being paying much attention to detail, but his morning i finally actually looked in the mirror while flossing and noticed my gums receeding, noticeably… we have a history of bad gums in the family and i am really careful to take very good care of mine( flossing rinsing wih peroxide , ect) but i switched to a natural toothpaste by waleda and have been lax on the oil pulling…..has anyone else experienced this? i remember my hygenist telling me switches in diet can cause resession of the gums….suggesstions?

Comments

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I also have the same problem. Mine started receeding in my early 20’s and seemed to stabilize by my late 20’s/early 30’s. My sis-in-law is a hygienist and said it was partly genetic but my diet was also horrible until my late20’s/early 30’s. This summer (early July) I started oil-pulling after I read about it on this site and I think it has improved a little bit. I have only been raw 100% since 9/19 but when I cleaned up my diet years ago the recession stopped progressing and tartar build-up is almost nonexistent. Time slipped away from me and I went 7 yrs w/o a cleaning and the hyg. couldn’t believe how little tartar there was. I’ve also read CoQ10 is good for gums and I have taken that as a supplement for years.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Wow, that’s interesting. Mine have been receding too but I just attributed it to turning 40! But diet huh? Hmmm. My hygenist did not seem troubled. Perhaps it will stabilize soon. Sort of like hair thinning during detox. Guess I’ll start oil pulling again!

• Me too. Mine started to recede fairly soon after I went raw vegan, which of course concerned me so I eventually went back to eating a little more dairy, meat, and cooked foods. A year later and the problem still hasn’t resolved itself. There’s an interesting article on this topic over here… http://www.drbass.com/aboutfruit.html

• StefunkStefunk Raw Newbie

Interesting! I just came back from the dentist and I was told I have receding gums in one area. I have been oil pulling religiously since the first of August and was not expecting this. I am slowly transitioning to raw so I’ll hope for improvement!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

three years ago (way before i was raw) i went to the dentist because i had sensitivity and he told me not to brush so hard. gums naturally recede with use because they don’t grow. if we treat them harshly that’s it.

my hygienist told me to brush like i was “painting” my teeth and to let the brush do the work, not my arm.

• I’ve been able to quit using “Sensitive Teeth Toothpaste” now that I’m raw, but I have not noticed my receeding gums getting worse or better, so I will start paying attention! My mouth feels good, so I don’t think it’s geting worse.

• If I remember correctly receeding of the gums can be a sign of Osteoporosis… Mine were bleeding and receeding heaps, and when I went to the dentist that was their first theory, but it turned out it was just a gum infection. THANK GOD! The last thing someone wants is their teeth falling out, you should go and check your bone density at your dentist :)

Also deborahann: My dentist was also amazed that I hadn’t had a mouth cleanse for over two years, since I went vegetarian, and she thought it might have had something to do with my diet.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

thanks for all the input guys! I know i brush to hard, im back to my oil pulling which helps the sensativity and bleeding…guess the gray hair i found last week, explains the receeding gums! teehee and here i had blamed it on stress;)

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

My gums were receding for a long time. I started taking Modifilan (a brown seaweed supplement) for mercury detox, and the minerals it contains have reversed the recession. I think it may have been the iodine because my hair that used to fall out isn’t anymore and my hypothyroid-like symptoms have diminished. We have all cut out table salt in lieu of seasalt. Salt is fortified with iodine. That could be something to consider.

• Is it possible that oil pulling can cause your gums to receed? I just started oil pulling, I think Ive done it 4 times now. And this morning I swear it looked as if my gums had receeded! Ive only been eating raw for 3 weeks, but I feel as if my gums just started to receed since ive been oil pulling.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

You know what, I’ve started oil pulling for a week and a half now and I’ve noticed my gums beginning to recede a bit too. Either that or I’m paranoid because I expected oil pulling to help clean my teeth and make them whiter but it won’t get rid of the darn tarter build up!

• Yeah maybe im just paranoid! haha I def think my teeth are white though!

• I just went to the dentist and She said I have one spot on my lower left canine that is receeding. I also have my cheak pierced so she said it could be from that and sleeping on my piercing. But she also told me that putting vitamin E oil on the spot will help improve the area. She’s seen patience that have done that religiously and they even had gums that grew back! Has anyone tried that? I have yet to do it. But I will try it and see if it helps.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I knew that Dr. Richard Schulze had a cure for this problem. Here is what I found on the web:

“Here’s the recipe for Dr. Schultz Tooth and Gum Formula! He actually posted it on the internet which I thought was kind of cool. You only need to add a few dropperfuls of it to the water in the water pik otherwise it kind of makes you want to cough! Powerful stuff! I keep the big bottle in the fridge and fill my dropper bottle as needed. Warm regards, Rae

Tooth & Gum Oil
    For receding, rotting gums and teeth, diseased dental bone

Ingredients:

10 oz Echinacea Tincture
    1/4 cup Tea tree oil
    4 oz Bayberry tincture
    2 oz Oak Gall (or 3x oak bark) tincture
    2 Tablespoons Cayenne tincture
    2.5 dropperfuls Peppermint oil
    2.5 dropperfuls Clove oil

Shake well before use.

Note: Dropperful = 1/2 way up the dropper. Use organic ingredients.

Apply directly to gums, or swish around the mouth with water (dropperful into 1 ounce of water). Twice a day at least.

Water Pik directions: fill the machine with distilled water, put two, four, six, or even eight dropperfuls of this tooth and gum mixture into the water pik. Start it off on the low setting, but then work over weeks to raise it to its highest setting. Do this twice a day. Anybody who has bleeding gums: do this for two days, and your gums will stop bleeding.”

Important note: Also, when you

• Thanks for the post, rawmama. Very interesting. My husband’s dentist always says he has “deep pockets” – and I’m sure she’s not referring to our finances! Do you happen to know if the White Oak Bark treatment would be helpful for that?

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

LOL! That’s too funny! Now,, did you want to know whether it’d be helpful for deep pockets or your finances? :) Sounds like it’d help the deep pockets AND finances since it’d be cheaper than lots of dental work :) I haven’t tried it myself…interesting for sure…I’d like to get some and give it a try and see what it does.

• I’m going to give this a try and see if I can get my husband on board too. I’ll report back after we’ve had a “check up”.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

hey im gonna try both of these! i have an idea how to apply the oak bark powder more directly so one does not have to shower off your tongue in the kitchen sink;) they have these little puffer bottles at the pharmacy good for puffing powder in small amounts where you need it…i wouldnt store the powder in it, but just use it to apply…....

• synapsynap Raw Newbie

Smoothielove wrote: "Is it possible that oil pulling can cause your gums to receed? "

Smoothielove, I think it is possible that what may appear as gum recession after oil pulling could be explained as a minor reduction in inflamation from gum cleansing. It is just a speculation based on what info I have gathred so far.

• synapsynap Raw Newbie

123 wrote: "I started taking Modifilan (a brown seaweed supplement) for mercury detox, and the minerals it contains have reversed the recession."

123, it would be great if you had pictures of your gums to show before and after. I would love to see them. Thanks.

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

I agree with Synap-- it is my best guess that loss of water and inflammation from the oil pulling gives the appearance of receding gums--- where they may have been swollen before.

My gums receded a lot through my 20's and have now seemed to stabalize-- I think it was mostly due to brushing too hard with lateral strokes. I now brush by picking up the brush and placing it diagonally to the gum line and pressing down gently with TINY circular strokes-- so that some of the bristles actually get between your teeth... then pick up the brush and move to the next spot. Its the scrubbing back and forth, especially near the canine teeth (where the angle and pressure is greatest) that causes much of gum recession.

• synapsynap Raw Newbie

Annabelle77, I have read that vitamin C (supplementation?) is very helpful in the growth of the gum tissue. From What I have read, when people are deficient in vitamin C, they can get scurvy (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scurvy )

If a person is detoxing, their body may be using up more than normal amounts required for health. See the picture of the guy with receding gums at the wiki link I provided above.

Also, during detox it may be beneficial to supplement with extra minerals such as calcium, magnesium and zinc. I am interested to know if this is helpful. thanks.

• I had mine Gum Receeding 6 days ago and I am still in agony. I had two teeth front bottom done. I also had the roof of my mouth as the donor site. My doctor never gave me any other options than to be my own donor and also no choices for surgical numbing.By the time I walked in the door of my home after the procedure I was in agony.

• Claire TurnipClaire Turnip Raw Newbie

That sounds like a lot to go through Denver Smith. I hope you're feeling better by now. Did the procedure have the intended effect?