Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Lastest Discoveries

kauaigirlkauaigirl Raw Newbie

Let’s start a post of any lastest discoveries we’ve had…a new food, new herb, supplement, technique…..whatever. Sometimes you don’t have a question, just a new idea!

What inspired this was: Today I bought Stinging Nettles capsules and opened up two into my salad. Delicious peppery flavor. Opening up capsules into smoothies/salad dressing in general is a new re-discovery for me. I’ve been adding ginger to smoothies and medicinal mushrooms to dressing. Seems nicer than just swallowing with water…boring.

Comments

• What a great idea for a thread :-)

For me, it was the simplest ice-cream in the world. Just blend frozen bannanas with a little soft fruit (strawberries work best) to get a wonderful, creamy dessert in about five seconds. Just fruit—no added anything, not even agave! It is easy to forget how simple raw can be.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Broad beans, wow what a great thing they are. I never ate them when I was cooked. I love them now. I have yet to experiment fully with them although I suspect they’ll be great in a pate type thing.

• Kale. Sounds dorky, I know. But I just think kale is the greatest thing. I didn’t know anything about kale till I started blending up greens. But now I can’t seem to get enough. Soon the idea of more kale will no doubt make me gag, and then I’ll move onto some weed or another. For now, kale is one exciting discovery for moi.

• I have two.

1) Coconut water. I’m like, obsessed with it. I got two perfect coconuts and I was in heaven.

2) Chocolate Pudding (from Raw Food, Real World). Its mostly coconuts, coconut water, some sweeteners (agave and maple syrup) ... cocoa… etc. I put crushed nuts over it. I feasted on pudding for like 3 days and I’m still not sick of it. But I’m also not allowing myself to make more because then I’ll just keep eating it… I have way too much of a sweet tooth.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

I have found that a certain type of cheese slicer is fantastic for making lasagna noodles out of Zucchini/Courgette. Here is a picture of the type I mean…

http://www.cheesesupply.com/images/stainlessste…

It also peels things very fast!

50% mature coconut + 50% parsnip/turnip/pine nuts or whatever + food procesor = Indian rice

Chesnut Mushrooms, Red Pepper and Basil together in a marinade of Garlic, Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Salt with a splash of Apple Cider vinegar. (I make this as a side/topping kind of thing, yet it has become a meal itself now more than once.)

I now use sprouted Sunflower Seeds instead of Almonds in my cheese and I like it even more! I’m almost glad that they screwed up the Almonds. Recipe

• I just made another discover:

Nut butter on dates.

I don’t know why but I LOVE it. Kinda like pb and jelly from childhood I guess? Anyway its a no brainer but I love simple things.

• Ah,The young coconuts that I love so much,are encased in a husk that is white because it is treated with formaldahyde. I am so upset!

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

Fruit, just fruit, so simple, so satisfying. I never feel better than when I’m eating just fruit.

Especially fruit straight off the tree. I’m staying at a place in Sedona right now with a beautiful pear tree, the fruit ripe and perfect. Nectar!

• Smoothies don’t have to be sweet, celery in a smoothie adds an amazing refreshing flavor, and mint is fantastic in a smoothie! (That’s 3!).

I love everyones’ discoveries and this post!

P.S. Broad beans or fava beans are toxic to anyone with an uncommon inborn error of metabolism called G6PD, just to warn you, but you should know you have it from newborn screening..

• StefunkStefunk Raw Newbie

Goji berries! I soak them and put them in smoothies, sprinkle them on my salads, and put them in my homemade granola. I’m sure the possibilities with them are endless!

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Carob pods! I’m chewing one right now. The healthy raw equivalent of sweets (candies).

• I absolutely loooove hemp hearts! You all should try them, they are very versatile and taste like a handfull of pumkin and sesame seeds. They can be added to anything, and with omega 3, and more protein than meat, fish, eggs, or nuts, they are a vegans best friend! Totally raw and hardly prcessed, other than to blow the husks off with air. I’d stay away from hemp powder though (processed nad getting away from natural state.). Smoothie lovers: they give a great nutty flavour and taste great with sweet fruits.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

gypsy, get the green “unshaven” young coconuts instead. No formaldyhide.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I saw this new discovery on welikeitraw.com , amazing!

http://gorillasandwich.com/

• My favorite skin treatments are the papaya mask – done by rubbing the papaya skin (flesh side) all over! Active enzymes leave you with a fresh glow. The other is the aloe mask – filet out the center of the leaf and rub it all over! I even sleep with it on and rinse in the morning – overnight face/body lift!

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

That Gorilla sandwich is the coolest idea I’ve seen in a while! Fun!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

For my bf’s bday, I bought him a bunch of wild foraging books since he is big into foraging. One book called the “Neighborhood Forager: Guild for the Wild Food Gourmet” is specifically for people who live in cities and suburbs and focuses on the wild plants that grow in these areas. Things like ornamental plants and flowers – stuff you wouldn’t think to eat – the book has recipes for. Not all are raw but obvious could be made that way. My bf picked some wild sumac a few blocks from our house and it makes better lemonade than lemons do! It is also supposedly very high in vitamin C and was used by the Native Americans to make their “sodas” and tea. :) And its FREE!

Also right now there are SO many wild grapes all over the place – more than we can pick – and I am loving the yummy grape juice and raw wild grape pie that my bf is making! It is so unfortunate how no one picks them! I also picked some wild rosehips and I am going to make one of the recipes in the book in raw form.

The the best thing about all this is that wild foods can be highly nutritious and they are FREE! We also have a whole bowl full of wild apples. Wild grapes right off the vine will give your fingers and mouth a nice purple color and after eating them I swear my lips just tingle. :)

Hurray for wild, raw FREE food! :)