Chocolate/Carob

I’ve never had carob before. How close is it to chocolate in taste? Also, Can you grind cocoa nibs in a coffee grinder and get a product similiar to cocoa powder in taste and texture? I bought a package of raw cocoa powder when I went raw but I found that there is a fermentation process and heat may be involved at some point.The product I bought said it was raw, but….Anyway, I just wanted to be sure.Thanks!

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I also notice when recipes call for “cocoa or carob”, it’s never a one-to-one substitution. I find you need 1/4 of the carob. Carob has a “different” flavor. You can’t eat too much of it, like one would chocolate. Alone, carob doesn’t come close as far as taste… the texture is also “grainy-er”... but, with certain recipes, it will turn out great! I make carob coconut macaroons from the Raw Food Real world rawbook…. and I tried their chocolate macaroons… I actually enjoyed the carob ones a whole lot better. Maybe the chocolate is too bitter… I don’t know.

• I don’t think carob tastes much like chocolate..but it has its own rich pleasant taste. I agree with germin8 that certain recipes using carob can be deelish! Try and and give us your feedback.

• We have ground cacao nibs in a coffee grinder, but we had to let it run for a long time and it never got as small or as smooth as the powder we buy. We put it in avocado chocolate pudding and the pudding still had a greenish cast instead of the uniform rich brown we usually get. It tasted good, though, as always!

Carob has its own merits. Sometimes I use it instead of chocolate in the avocado pudding, and add cinnamon and cloves for a unique and interesting twist. It also works well in smoothies.

I also think mesquite meal powder has almost a hint of choco-taste, especially in a coconut milk-based smoothie or as milk w/cinnamon on Buckwheaties.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I’m trying the raw coca beans and I may get the powder from sunfoods. The carob is on the way and there are quite a few recipes here to try with it. I went crazy and I’m trying the maca ,too! Sounds like a great superfood. Thanks for all of your input.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i don’t like carob at all, especially in raw recipes. i guess it could be good if it was sweetened up alot, but then that defeats the point.

raw cacao is pretty good in flavor, but also needs sweetening. you might want to do some research about raw cacao before making a it a regualr part of your diet, there are some folks out there who believe it is extremely toxic as well as addictive. one of the reasons is that they say no animal will eat it in the wild. there are people who say its an amazing superfood. i have it every once in a while, and i only use about 1 teaspoon in whatever i’m making. even at that level i will get a stomach ache.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I find that if I have it everyday at the same time and then I skip a day, I’ll be tired-probably caffeine addiction. I have always been very sensitive to it’s effects and used to get severe withdrawal. I have been using a raw cacoa powder and it tastes alot better than dutch process cocoa. So far the raw stuff hasn’t upset me unless I eat a lot. The raw stuff really does seem to knock out my appetite though.