New to raw foodism

I am already vegetarian, but I am interested in raw foodism. Are there any books or anything to help with the transition to uncooked foods? What are some things you do when your family eats out? Thanks for any help!

Comments

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

My favorites so far are: Living on Live Food by Alissa Cohen, Sunfood Diet Success System by David Wolfe, Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine by Gabriel Cousens and Green for Life by Victoria Boutenko. These give a lot of background on nutrition and the “how to’s” of it. I also have the Rawvolution cookbook that is really nice although so far I’ve just made some crackers as far as the dehydrator goes. Right now I don’t have too much time to get fancy.

• Thanks for the info…..also what are some kitchen gadgets I would need? I’m guessing a juicer and dehydrator, anything else?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

My favorite is Raw Food Real World because every recipe I’ve made from that turns out great!

Food processor… I use mine all the time.

A high-speed blender. One with variable speed would also be good for some food-processor-type processing… plus making nut butters.

A good juicer (like the Champion juicer) can make nut butters and ice cream too. I don’t have a juicer like that, but I do have a high-speed blender which I have made ice cream with.

Some other cheaper things are sprout jars for sprouting or germinating. And let’s not forget the fun toys like the spirooli… to make zoodles (zucchini noodles). If you plan to open coconuts, a cleaver would be nice or a good big knife with the blade going all the way through the handle. And, if you really have money to spend a ceramic knife to keep the food from oxidizing… metal “reacts” with food. But, ceramic knives break easily.

There are more things… like the mandolin or bamboo rolling mat… and others…

• One of the most helpful things I used to get me started with raw food was YouTube. Just search “raw foods” or “raw foodism”, and there are hundreds of videos about raw foods, raw living, superfoods, detox, plus some inspirational video blogs.

As far as appliances go, I just use a food processor and a blender (saving up for a good dehydrator), although spiralizers and mandolin slicers are cheap and very useful for making thin slices and strips for pastas or roll-ups.

When I eat at restaurants, I usually eat a light meal beforehand, and order a mixed green salad. If it’s a more expensive place (or just a restaurant with friendly staff), tell the chef to get creative! If I can pick the restaurant, I usually go with japanese, thai or vietnamese food because of the heavy emphasis on raw fruits and vegetables.

• thanks germin8 and k8lish…...about the restaurant salads, do you just order them without dressing?

• Usually I get a big side of lemon slices for a “dressing”, and avocado and tomato on top. It’s a great way to turn people on to simpler raw food too, when I’m with a large group or with family, people always end up taking stabs at my salad.