Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Vitamix a Toxic Blender ?!!

Comments

• @Ananda

Well I checked this Epinions website but there is not 1 single review to be found about the Krups blender. So I am curious to what bad review(s) you are exactly referring to. Could you maybe provide a direct link to the bad reviews you mentioned.

This is the only one I found when I looked up the blender, I only found reviews about the companies themselfs, but maybe I am overlooking something?!

http://www1.epinions.com/Krups_KB7207_Blender

• I have a Vita-Mix and the BPA issue does not bother me very much for several reasons. In most cases where BPA was found to leach into food or water it was an instance where the food or water had direct and prolonged contact such as with baby bottles, sippy sups, storage containers, tin cans, etc. Also there is an issue with toys that are chewed on or mouthed by baby and toddlers.

My food is in the Vita-Mix for a minute at most usually so not really enough time to leach anything into the food or drink and I definately don’t drink out of it and since I am not using it to heat things as some do there is even less risk.

I did write several articles about BPA in baby bottles and sippy cups if anyone is interested. My whole family uses Klean Kanteen, SIGG, and Foogo.

• Linda – good point about the dehydrator. My dehydrator does not fit teflex sheets so I use parchment paper instead. I wonder if that helps “block” the plastic. Another question… I know that soft plastics are bad, but is it still ok to use Nalgene bottles or are those bad too??

My blender is an Oster “drinkmaster” (or something like that) that is designed to keep beverages cold in the carafe. It is plastic though. I have a feeling that it is about to burn out any minute though so I will get a glass one next. The one I had before was a Black & Decker stainless steel with glass carafe, but that one burned out in the first 5 minutes…. (ok 5 minutes is an exaggeration, but I prepared maybe less than 10 raw food items in it before it pooped out!)

• It is my understanding that the company that makes nalgene bottles also makes the contraptions that hold bunnies for “science” testing, which is just an odd paradox, as usually vegans/raw foodies are the customers for their product (not the bunny ones). Also, i believe that the plastic leeches if the liquid is warm or in the sun, but there is little research done when there is no profit to be made.

• Renoir – How does the parchment paper work out in the dehydrator? Its a great idea but I haven’t tried it yet. As far as the plastic in Nalgene bottles, it too leaches plastic into the liquid inside the container, more so when the liquids are hot or freezing. I used to put my full bottles in the freezer the night before a hike but I stopped doing that when I read about that. Nalgene makes all kinds of plastic laboratory tubing, packing materials and yes, probably equipment that is used in animal testing. Boo hoo. I really like the waterproofness of my Nalgene bottles.

• Linda – The parchment paper works really well for me. My dehydrator came with solid plastic “fruit leather trays” which do not work well at all. I hate them. Parchment paper works a million times better except for the fact that it is not re-usable.

That sucks about the Nalgene! I have been making green smoothies for my bf at night and freezing them for him to take to work in the morning (he leaves at 5am long before I am up which is why I make them the night before and freeze). I also take a Nalgene bottle of water with me to work everyday, but it is not ever heated or left in the car. I guess we will have to find new containers, since the same problems occur with Rubbermaid or Tupperware type containers too. hmmm….

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Pyrex makes a good glass tupperware. You can buy it off of Amazon, or check some cooking stores.

• Wow, Vita-Mix has apparently listened! Here goes from their newsletter:

The Vita-Mix 5200 is the world

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Ummm, I’m just catching up on Gone Raw (been gone for a while).

Sorry, I’m not cathing up on all the posts… but the microwaved water experiment was something we wanted to try… except we don’t have a microwave.

I would have used a glass container for microwaved water and not plastic (knowing that plastic leaches into the water). Plus, I would use purer water like distilled and R-O water. Everything else the same.

And since this is a Vita-Mix post, it would be interesting to try this experiment using the same pure water… but, I would heat water in the Vita-Mix, and I would blend another batch of water in the Vita-Mix without getting hot (since after all… raw food in the blender is not heated)... and of course, the control.

Any volunteers to experiment? ;-) ...maybe one day we will, just not now.

• I am really happy that Vitamix responded with an alternative for the polycarbonate container, well done Vitamix !! For me this seems like a good alternative, could not find anything about toxcitivity about this material.

• Forgot to post, but lately there was even an article about the dangers of Bisphenol A in the USATODAY.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-10-30-...

• tdgtdg Raw Newbie

Has anyone tried the Waring blenders? They have glass carafes. I am not sure about the blade though.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I second that. I bought the beehive about a week ago an it’s working great – and looks nice too ;-).

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I haven’t read all the posts on this thread so forgive me if you already covered this but I was watching Freshtopia’s latest video and Tanja is using a vitamix but it looks like it has a metal or maybe stainless steel jug. I am thinking that this is not toxic. But still vitamix.

Here it is:

http://freshtopia.net/vlog/?p=156

• I sent Vitamix an email that said:

“I have a Vita-Mix 4500 turbo, and I’m concerned about the toxicity of Bisphenol A in the plastic container. Will you be offering a container made of Eastman Tritan copolyester for the 4500?”

Thanks”

A Vitamix rep replied:

“Thank you for contacting Vita-Mix Corp regarding your concern.

“BPA can be found in all polycarbonate material but with regards to leaching and being of dangerous levels this has never been proven. The inconclusive tests that were conducted in the 1990’s was a test utilizing “abuse” on the plastic material. We are a very healthy conscious company and have been for over 86 years.

“Your container is very safe especially if you utilize it in the manner suggest by Vita-Mix. When processing “hot” items your container gets hot but nothing is being “cooked or boiled” in this container, thus reducing the opportunity of the material breaking down. We currently have an option for our customers who are concerned. We have partnered with Eastman Chemicals and they have produced a copolyester container made of Tritan™ material with no BPA components. Vita-Mix is offering to those customer’s who want to change the following options:

“1) if you wish to change out your container shell you can purchase the new container shell package # 015867 cost $39.00 US dollars and includes a new shell, lid (mandatory) and wrench for transferring the blades from your old container to the new.

“or

“2) you can purchase a new complete container by ordering part # 015856 which includes the complete container with blades and lid (mandatory).

“Prices quoted above do not include applicable tax or shipping charges.

“If you wish to order the container shell please contact customer service at 1-800-848-2649 option #2, but if you wish to order the complete container please contact Direct Household Sales at 1-800-848-2649 option #1.

“With warm regards…”

• I have contacted Vitamix to see if I can get this Eastman Tritan container, but regrettably they are not allowed to ship it overseas yet. Why, because law regulations say that it first has to be tested for European safety, even that it has already passed US safety. Right… Anyway, according to Vitamix it will take around half a year before they will have the approval for Europe.

As I live in Europe I cannot order this replacement package #015867 yet, which would have sounded for me super attractive. So I was wondering if someone on this forum from the USA is willing to help me out by ordering it for me, have it first directly shipped from Vitamix to him/her and then later to me. I can forward pay all the nessecary expenses through Paypal.

I would be more then thankfull for any help !!!

• I have one of the Waring 3.5+ HP blenders – it’s containers are interchangeable with the lesspowerful vitamix, and I also have a vitamix container.

Waring has a stainless steel container for their blender that will also fit the vitamix
    :http://www.waringproducts.com/com/parts/index.php?part_id=340*

Ordering it myself – THANKS for this info

Now this brings up another issue:
    My wife and I decided a food vacuum sealer would help us out alot – and I was coming here to ask people which one they recommended.when I found this topic.

What material are the bags made of????
    and What about zip lock baggies?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

So, I’m in search of a 2nd high-speed blender… but I was wondering about this Eastman container… what is that made of and is it toxic too?

Eaglenester, I just submitted for a quote for the stainless steal containers… still waiting on it, but how much are they? I can’t believe they make a one-gallon 3.5HP blender! I requested a quote for a half-gallon and gallon one.

Which is the stainless steal container that fits into the VitaMix… and how much is that? I’ll be requesting a quote… but, I’m just wondering what you got yours for. Seems like the stores don’t carry a 2+ HP blender (maybe I’m wrong).

• Wow, there is so much good info here. Thanks to all.

• Wow! I guess I’ve really lucked out. After lusting after a Vitamix for soooo many years and never thinking I could afford one, I inherited one of the old metal container ones with the spigot! I have yet to actually use it though but now that I’m going raw finally I will be using it often I’m sure.

• Hi folks, I too just bought a blender with a glass jar and it works well except the base which is plastic and stinks so bad – right from day one. I have tried to clean it with everything from store bought bleach cleaners to vinegar and nothing gets this smell out – any ideas or suggestions would be appreicated.

• I use snapple bottles washed out. I have a Vitamix and it does not smell like anything. Even when brand new. For the very short time your food is in the Vitamix (a minute or two) I doubt much happens in the toxic gas problem issue.

I also love my Sigg bottles.

• MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

I just posted a separate forum question today on whether or not to invest in a Vitamix…...
    Now I have the chance to make a more informed choice and I appreciate all the information.
    Thank you Shaker et al :)
    (I had been getting by quite well with my Bamix, which is a strong metal wand with stainless steel blade that can be plunged into any container you like, and its’ mill attachment (plastic sigh) for grinding seeds and nuts.
    If the creams etc weren’t homogenised enough I put them in my cheap Breville glass blender and they came out fine.
    Now I guess I should wait till these safer Vitamixes come to Australia.
    Meanwhile my old Champion juicer has plastic parts…..
    Someone way back in the thread commented that we live in a toxic world and have taken good decisions in wanting to become more healthy, and so maybe a bit of toxicity here and there is not such a big issue (at least I think that was the gist).
    I agree. I think sometimes we can get more ill from stessing out and going into panic about stuff than from the stuff we are stressed out about.
    We don’t live in a vacuum. We breathe polluted air, hang out in groups of germ-laden people and are all subject to a particular genetic heritage from our ancestors. Sooner or later mortality is going to get all of us…even if we are as clean living and pure as some of those ancients who were supposed to live for decades over a hundred.
    As far as spending however many years there are in the best way….I know that since I have been raw (9 months now) my quality of life has improved incredibly. I still drink water from plastic bottles (maybe I won’t anymore though now…) I still probably don’t take enough exercise although I know it’s a great way to detox, and I still live in a city near a main road….
    Um …I still sit in front of my computer reading interesting threads and exposing myself to eyestrain and radiation late at night …:( ;)

• Dear all, I am new, and my English is awful, I hope we will understand all the same, and that you will forgive me, but it is not my mother tongue.
    After reading Dr Clark’s books, I have wondered many times about blenders
    and Vita Mix as well. Especially after readind about the toxicity of
    polycarbonate, which, as far as I understand, is undoubted by now! Then I saw
    that new kind of Vita Mix, I wrote to the company to ask them if it is sold
    in Europe, but they told me it is not sold there at the moment, and that
    they will let me know when it is. This post let me really at loss, also
    because I realize that this company is not an honest one at all, and I do
    wonder why all the so many raw food book writers have never wondered about
    the toxicity of Vita mix and other blenders! Moreover, as that post says, it
    is not just a matter of polycarbonate, but of stainless stell as well! So
    now I wonder what we can do! I was going to buy a Vita Mix when the new one
    is on the market in Europe, but I think I will not buy it at all. The
    problem is that Dr clark says that even glass containers (I do not know
    about glass blenders) are cancer – causing as well!! Honestly I still have not finished reading her books, so i cannot mention exactly how she thinks.
    I am very worried! What kind of blender could we buy now?!
    Thank you so much to Shaker for her courage, with all my heart!!!

Donata.

• Shaker, has your friend chemist analyzed the smoothie in the Vita mix? I am eager to know the results!

• I always wondered about plastic containers…thank you all for your efforts…it’s about time somebody spoke out about this!

BOYCOTT PLASTIC BLENDER CONTAINERS!!

So what steps do we take now to get rid of them all together?... so more people aren’t poisoned?

• I bought the 5200. It does not contain BPA. It’s quieter AND the lid rocks.

• as I see it the vitamix is one of the best products on the market… guess you will have to weigh the risks vs. the benefits.

at one time vitamix made its blender with a stainless steel blender, Its too bad they still don’t.

I will keep my vitamix and stop drinking any bottled water or diet sodas in plastic containers and I’ll still be ahead of the game.

• Goodday folks,

I just joined goneraw and from my perspective, I can relate to both views aswell. I can understand that Vitamix might think their product is fine, I can also imagine themselves just using the polycarbonate carafes. However, being a health conscious company and dealing with health conscious people, should require them to understand their customers a bit better. I once made an inquery and they never ever replied!, also the “microwave health” argument is totally retarded! If VitaMix would only know who their customers are, it would help tremendously. Meanwhile I spent quite some cash on a VitaMix, I could have easily bought 10 crappy ones!

I own a Vitamix blender myself, a Prep3, which is about the only one I managed to find on the european market and while it is a good machine, I have to agree with Shaker regarding the carafe, it stinks! And while I haven` t been affected by it much, I was actually looking for a replacement in stainless steel or so. Of course, balance is most important. While Hulda Clark does some excellent things, the one thing I don` t like about her is the fact that she basicly bans life.

Oh oh, bacteria! parasites! Are we all going to die? Of course, I should add, hopefully we will, it would be sad to know that our lifes would be the only liniair process in the universe and we would just live on into eternity. The question for me therefor is not how will we die, or will we die. The question is how do we want to live? And honestly, if it was up to H. Clark, we would have no pets around, Our lifes would be kind of denatured I think.

Back on topic, Shaker, I do think you have a very good view on this and totally support you, as far as the polycarbonate jars are concerned. Also I am not convinced the newer plastics are that safe! But than again these materials are accepted everywhere! Which is my reason to opt for stainless steel.

Have a good day everyone!.

PS: If anyone has some info on the compatibility of Waring carafes, I` d like to hear about it.