Cohosh has a cousin?.... I hope?

Ok so technically I know it’s a shot in the dark but I’m hoping that because we have so many members with lots of knowledge about things like herbs and stuff that maybe, hopefully someone will know about cohosh and if it has an equal or a relative that is about the same? Yes I know it probably isn’t raw and that according to doctors (mostly) that it shouldn’t be taken without extreame caution but as of this post I’m truely desperate to find something…

According to the “chart” and sonograms I’m techically overdue (40 weeks + a few days) but if you ask me I’ve felt overdue for much longer than that. I tried everything natural I can think of or have read about on the internet, even castor oil! It wasn’t the nightmare that I’ve heard about and it didn’t seem to do much for me except the numerous trips to the bathroom. It definately didn’t start labor like I’ve heard.

So now the docs are starting to talk about non-natural methods of getting this kid out but I’m just not ready to give in yet. Especially when my choices are so limited and the most common end factor is a ceserean which I don’t want unless there is no other choice left. (They don’t do epidurals here in KRG.. they just knock you out with this horrible junk and who knows what they do when they’ve got you filleted like a fish, and worst of all they don’t do any surface stitching.. just tape or glue and see ya later!)

Does anyone know of or maybe have heard about something that will work? I’ve read good things about Cohosh but it’s not available here and as much as I’ve asked no one here knows of or will recommend some kind of local herbs. All I keep getting is “Trust the doctors they know what they’re doing” (Uh excuse me? Do I have “STUPID” written on my forehead?)

Help?

Comments

• I know that some births have been induced by sexual intercourse. Jinjee did with one of hers and she also slowly danced. She talks about it in her ebook on her births. Red Raspberry leaf is a good tonic herb but I’m not sure if it stimulates contractions.

• sadly most doctors don’t trust women’s bodies, and most of us don’t trust ourselves either… it’s not uncommon to be 2 weeks or more “overdue”, so a few days is nothing to worry about. and once you get to where you are now, kurdish mom, it feels like forever. Trust that your baby and your body know when the right time is. try having sex, it’s a good suggestion, also try soothing baths – relax. meditate and focus on your baby and your body, if you think about it – you can bring it about! herbs don’t help much, but you can concentrate and talk yourself into labor. i wish you the best, don’t let them talk you into a c-section!

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Hi KM, I have been anxiously awaiting a post from you! I am so sorry that you are not going into labor like you had hoped as of yet. Here is a list of “typical” suggestions for inducing labor (which I am sure you know, but will post for any others interested): sex, kissing and/or touching, nipple/breast stimulation, baths, walking, being around and holding other babies, and reflexology points. Also, black and blue cohosh, evening primrose oil, raspberry leaf tea, and drinking water infused with cinnamon sticks can all help as well as eating spicy foods. Now, let’s talk about the not as common ones: writing down positive affirmations to help counteract any fears you have regarding this birth, imagining holding and caring for your baby, looking deep into your partners eyes and telling him that you love him, and talking with your baby and asking her/him to come out now. Let your baby know that you love him/her and that you are ready to welcome them into the world! Dance and sing to your baby to let them know it is a fun, amazing world “out here”!

As Mtnflwr said, 40 weeks is “just due”...it is not uncommon for women to go 42+ weeks and have healthy babies. In fact there is a well documented case of a woman carrying a baby to I believe 50 weeks without complications. So, relax and enjoy this last little bit of pregnancy…have a nice meal with your husband, talk about what you think your baby is going to look like and how he/she will sound when you hear the first cry/vocalization after birth, feel yourself breastfeeding and the love the will completely surround you. Then, trust that your baby will come when it is ready and that your body will know what to do. Love put that baby in there, and love (and patience) will help it out.

I wish you all the best and can’t wait to hear about your amazing birth!

• blue cohosh is used to help induce contractions, especially in late pregnancies. I’ve also heard of midwives suggesting applying evening primrose oil directly to the cervix to help thin it out.