Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

parsnips

lstorzlstorz Raw Superstar

i have a pile of parsnips that i need to do something with. i’m new to raw….can i substitute parsnips for carrots in recipes? can i juice parsnips or just eat them raw and crunchy? in my cooked life, i’ve only had parsnips in soup or mashed.

Comments

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

I bought some parsnips another day and that was my first time.They are from the carrots family,and they kind of taste a little bit like carrots.I did eat them in a salad and that was very good. I might use them in a carrot smoothie with apples and bananas.They are not as sweet as carrots though.Ah! I made a pate with brazil nuts,red pepper and onion in the vitamix and put some dill and cayenne,yummy!! and the parsnips are good for dipping in the pate.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

You can also shred them and use them as filling for a nori roll.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

I got some and used a spiral cutter on them for spaghetti. I mixed it with yams. It was good. If you don’t have a spiral cutter, simply wash the parsnip really well, then use a peeler to shave off long strips. I actually used the outside also. In addition, put the strips in a bowl and sprinkle with a little salt. Let stank like an hour. This will “cook” the strips a bit. Drain the water and use. If you don’t like much salt in stuff, rinse the strips before using. Top with your favorite sauce. Enjoy!

• lstorzlstorz Raw Superstar

Thanks for the great ideas!! I do have a spiral cutter, so I think I might just spiral them up and then I can stuff them in Nori or put them on salads or just add them to my already-made batch of zucchini pasta.

Lucy—I love the pate idea with the brazil nuts. That sounds like it would be delicious with parsnips.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i find them horrid! i tried the mashed potato recipe (no offense to the person who posted it) but it just tasted wrong to me. maybe its just me.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

Istorz,the pate’s recipe is: 1 C brazil nuts,1 red pepper,1/2 onion,3 sundried tomatoes and you put all of this in a champion juicer to make the pate.After it is done you mix dried parsley in it.YUMMY !! it is my favorite and it’s from Shazzie.

• Older parsnips can have a “woody” core, which is not too pleasent to eat … that may sometimes cause problems with recipes …

YUM! thank you, JoyceH, for forwarding the parsnip whip recipe - i am eating it right now, and it is very creamy and delicious with flaxseed oil on top. thank you!!! (lucy - thanks for the pate recipe—i just put brazil nuts on my market list for next week)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

It makes good “rice”. Mix with shredded/.food processed coconut and mix with curry sauce and peas, yum!

Or there’s a dolmas/stuffed vine leaves recipe I just tried in Klein and Trotter “Raw”. Which was turnip rice with dill, garlic and lemon juice. It was quite good.

I have seen it used a ravioli wrapping aswell, if it is very thinly sliced. That would be good I think because of it’s slightly sweet blandness

wow! great ideas, Zoe!!!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Zoe & Lucy~ Will you put your yummy recipes that you mentioned here in the recipe section for all to enjoy?