Looking for Recipes Similar to Lydia's Organic Bread and Crackers

RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

I am totally in love with Lydia’s Organics Sunflower Seed Bread, especially the texture. It is not at all like the texture of raw bread that I have tasted. It is light, fluffy, and airy with a soft crunch (is that an oxymoron?). The ingredients include sprouted sunflower seeds, sprouted flax, and various veggies. I am thinking that the seeds are ground after they are sprouted and dehydrated, and that is what makes the texture as it is. If anyone has ever tasted them and has a recipe that might be similar I would truly appreciate you sharing it.

Lydia also has different flavored crackers that have an interestingly different texture than most raw crackers. I love her bread, crackers, granola, and many other products. If you haven’t tasted them, give yourself a treat. If you have and have come up with recipes that are even close I would love to have them.

Comments

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

Hi RCBAlive,I’ve never heard about Lydia.What’s her last name?Does she have a book?

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

Hey Lucy. Lydia’s Organics is a company that manufactures living food products. I highly recommend their products. Here is the link to their website: http://www.lydiasorganics.com/

I have not heard of her having a book, but I would certainly buy it if she did! As you can tell, I really enjoy her products.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

did you want to make the bread? cuz the ingredients seem to be right on the packet: Sprouted sunflower seeds, sprouted flax seeds, carrots, celery, parsley, basil, dulse, herbs, Original Himalayan Crystal Salt

Yes Pianissima, I definitely want to make the bread as it is pretty pricy. I know what the ingredients are, but I don’t know what technique to use to create the same texture. It is truly unique for raw bread.

• I know what you mean…. I have eaten the sunflower seed bread before and it is thicker but crunchy. Most of the raw breads I have made have been thinner, denser, softer. I made Zoe’s bread before (my SAD eating bf LOVES it!) and last time I made it I left the bf in charge of taking it out of the dehydrator for me since I was going out of town… he left it in about a day too long, so it got really crunchy! The texture is similar to Lydia’s but not as light or airy. I would love to see what you find out, since it is really spendy.

• Here is the link for Zoe’s bread…

http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/380-Zoe-s-Bread-

Maybe you can use the ingredients from Lydia’s with Zoe’s technique?? Let me know if it works!!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

RCBAlive, , Ive been experimenting like crazy to gt different textures!! eres what i found gives the cracker its crunch….soak and “sprout” your flax seeds…it becomes a disgusting gooey mass then i mix it with my other cracker ingredients and dehydrate…crunchy crunchy!! i have sprout in pquotes as i never left it long enough for tails so maybe i should call it germinate!;) let me know how it goes…lydia is an inspiration for me, im still trying to get into my first store!! grin ;)

Thanks for your input Renoir and Omshanti but I am trying to figure out proportions of the ingredients to use in order to get not only the right taste, but also the right texture. Zoe

Since the bread doesn’t have whole seeds, I am wondering if I should grind the seeds and then soak them or if I should soak them, then dry them and grind them. I think the texture comes from the grinding but I am not sure what order to use. Omshanti have you played with grinding/soaking at all? Any ideas, anyone, anyone?

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

I make a super crunchy and light flax cracker. The base is just flax – Soak either the flax seeds or ground seeds until the water is all absorbed, add whatever spices/veggies you want, spread on your dehydrator and dehydrate. If you want it crunchy and light, don’t add any oil. You can add some (not a lot!) sunflower seeds, hemp, or other seeds, but the bulk of it should be flax.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

About soaking/sprounting flax seeds:

They don’t sprout in the usual sense, they get all slimy and absorb all the water. I can’t imagine you could dry them after they’re soaked, they become one large slimy block. Just soak them till they absorb the water and use it all. That sliminess holds the crackers together beautifully.

I know that about the soaking/sprouting procedure Greenie, but the bread I am trying to create uses sprouted flax and sunflower seeds, although they are not visible as whole seeds. I am trying to figure out how to sprout and yet have the seeds ground up, thus creating a very unique texture.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Maybe you could write/call the company and ask them. When you do find out, be sure to post the recipe!

• Lydia’s also sells sprouted/dehydrated flax seeds in a bag. So somehow they soak then dehydrate without it turning into a block or cracker… maybe it does come out in one big chunk that they then ground up? Or you could just buy theirs to put in your version of their bread to see what happens.