Nesco Dehydrator

I want to buy a cheap dehydrator to leave at my mom’s house for when I visit. Can anyone tell me if a Nesco dehydrator has enough “headroom” to do stuffed mushrooms? The trays look really shallow in the picture and I want to make them for my family. I don’t want to buy 4-tray Excalibur because my mom just doesn’t have much space for me to set it up.

Comments

• I’m not sure about the headroom to do mushrooms but I really haven’t had much luck with my Nesco dehydrator in general. Doesn’t dehydrate evenly, can’t do breads or patties. I bought it thinking it would be good for an intro dehydrator but wish I had went straight for the Excalibur. I’m giving my Nesco to a friend and just ordered the Excalibur.

• Hi Pam! I happen to own a Nesco dehydrator because it was the most affordable way to get started on my raw adventure. The tray depth is one-half inch (I just measured it to be sure). Perhaps not tall enough for stuffed mushrooms. :-(

• PamPam

Thanks, Tryingraw and rawgramma. I think I’ll go ahead and buy the small Excalibur. My mother has a tendency toward aggressive garage cleaning, and I don’t want her to throw the dehydrator away! I have my family talked into doing a raw night in a couple of weeks… but I know I’m going to have to provide some pretty heavy dishes to entice them. I ought to buy stock in Excalibur. This will be the third one I’ve purchased… one for me, one for my daughter, and now one for mom’s house!

• I just got my Nesco in the mail yesterday! I just made kale crackers, papaya cubes, zucchini chips, and raisins, and it all turned out really well. I’m trying mushrooms later tonight, hopefully there’s enough room for them..

• PamPam

Too late! I bought the 4-tray Excalibur. I was going to buy one of the smaller, cheaper Nesco models anyway and I’m pretty sure the 1/2-inch measurement for that model is accurate because that’s how it looks in the picture. I didn’t have to pay shipping on the Excalibur so I think the price difference wasn’t that much between the small Excalibur and one of the better Nescos.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I like using the plastic, round, solid trays from the Nesco dehydrator, in my large dehydrator, so I can end up with wedges instead of square crackers, plus nothing sticks to it! Buy the round trays, it’s worth it…