Goitrogens

Hey guys, I need a little help. I have a thyroid condition (hypo) and am not suppose to eat foods that contain goitrogens (kale, spinach, cabbage, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, mustard and collard greens.. also strawberries and peaches!) It’s getting really annoying because I really greens. They’re so nutritious and yummy in salads. It seems like all green leafy veggies contain goitrogens, and I’m bummed out about it.

Does anyone know of any greens that won’t agrivate my thyroid?? OR am I stuck eating romaine lettuce?

Comments

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

Hi odalys! dont know much about this but was thinking sprouts, Ive been reading a bunch about them and want to add tons to my diet…maybe you can go the sprout route too?

• Hey odalys, I was wondering about chard, dandelion greens, beet greens, carrot greens, bok choy, and all of the diffent species of lettuce? Goitrogenic? Maybe you’ve already seen the article on world’s healthiest foods dot com? http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george…

“Because carefully controlled research studies have yet to take place on the relationship between goitrogenic foods and thyroid hormone deficiency, healthcare practitioners differ greatly on their perspectives as to whether a person who has thyroid problems, and notably a thyroid hormone deficiency, should limit their intake of goitrogenic foods. Most practitioners use words like “overconsumption” or “excessive” to describe the kind of goitrogen intake that would be a problem for individuals with thyroid hormone deficiency. Here the goal is not to eliminate goitrogenic foods from the meal plan, but to limit intake so that it falls into a reasonable range.”

The article also mentions cooking goitrogenic food: “As cooking seems to help to inactivate the goitrogenic compounds found in food, it seems reasonable to conclude that for individuals with deficient thyroid hormone production, steaming of cruciferous vegetables like broccoli makes good sense…”

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

What about seaweed and kelp? The iodine might help the thyroid function too

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Coconut oil is very very good for hypothyroidism!