Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Soy Allergy - ugh

Hey everyone! I’m new to Raw Foods and am loving the nori rolls. The only problem is, I have a soy allergy so I can’t eat them with Namu Shoyu or Tamari Sauce. Does anyone know a good alternative to soy sauce? Or some kind of Raw mock soy sauce? I’d love to hear it. Thanks!

Comments

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Have you tried Bragg’s??

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

salt and water

• There’s a non-raw soy sauce substitute here:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Soy-Sauce-Substitu…

Tweaking the non-vegan and non-raw parts would depend on how strictly raw you are. I’m guessing the beef bouillon here could maybe be subbed with the water from rehydrating mushrooms, and the dark molasses could be subbed with maple syrup or honey … The main problem really is the “dark, deep” falvour because this mostly comes from consdensing foods / liquids by heating them.

I would just try some different stuff out. Get back to use if you succeed!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

You can make it and have yourself some lovely mushrooms at the same time. The liquid left over from marinaing mushrooms using this recipe tastes exactly like nama shoyu or braggs.

http://goneraw.com/recipes/1668-Better-Marinate…

That is the super deluxe version, you can get virtually the same effect just by marinating mushrooms in water, oilive oil, salt and garlic.

• Thanks everyone! Bragg’s is (unfortunately) made from soy beans but I will definitely try the mushroom recipe. I’m basically just looking for a sauce to dip my Raw sushi in. If you have any favorites (they don’t have to taste like soy) let me know!

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I like almond butter, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, salt, agave, cayenne, and enough water to blend for a dip. But just about any sauce you want is good with “sushi” rolls.
    You could also find soy-free miso (there are a few out there) and blend with water and salt if you did want to imitate a soy sauce.