Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Kombucha Tea

Does anyone here drink Kombucha Tea? I started drinking it about 5 months ago and I am hooked. I drink it 3 times a day. Between drinking kombucha and eating raw I have more energy at 43 than I had when I was a teenager. I just joined this group yesterday and I have to thank whoever posted the recipe for the Spicy Walnut Taco Meat. WOW, it was great. I have the Flax seed tortillas in the dehydrator right now. I can’t wait to have tacos tonight.

Comments

• the taco meat is one of my favorite meals…now that I’m thinking about it…maybe thats on the menu tonight wrapped in a nice red cabbage leaf…mmmmmm

Haven’t tried the Kombucha tea, tho I have been meaning to. I’m into Yerba Mate right now…

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I love kombucha! In fact, there are lots of kombucha fans here.

• I still havent tried kombucha but i love yerba mate. Here’s my question, sorry if this is dense of me, how are you all making the tea? Are you making it like regular tea (boil water let the tea bags steap) and not drinking it hot? What about raw, heating process and so on? I miss yerba mate and havent made it since going raw. I cant wait till its warm enough to make sun tea=) please help

• Priceless OnePriceless One Raw Newbie

I drink yerba mate too. Tea is just one thing I am not giving up. :)

Rick, I just started kombucha a month or so ago. I don’t drink it daily yet. I have been buying GT’s at a health food store and at almost $4 a bottle, it is a tad spendy. My sis and I are working on purchasing a mother and making it ourselves but we haven’t gotten everything together yet. Do you make your own or do you buy it? I remember my grandma making it about 20 years ago. Never thought that I would be growing it when I grew up, lol!!

• Hi Priceless One, I do make it myself. It’s so easy and very inexpensive, just penny’s per batch. It sure seems to make a big difference in how I feel. I gave some to my mother who is 63 and has always had very high blood pressure and has to take a couple of naps each day. After just a about a week her blood pressure is almost normal and she doesn’t ever nap anymore.

• Priceless OnePriceless One Raw Newbie

Rick, If you don’t mind, where did you get your mushroom? I am looking for a reputable source.

• I got mine from www.happyherbalist.com He was very helpful.

• PamPam

Is your mother just doing the tea, Rick, or is she raw also? I’ve seen Kombucha Tea (raw, bottled) in Whole Foods and have been tempted to buy it but I am sensitive to caffeine.

And, yes, isn’t the walnut meat great? I make a layered nacho dip with it. Lately OD’ing on mock tuna, though.

• Hi Pam, Yes she is doing just the Tea. Last week she tried being raw for one week. She cheated 3 times but still had a good week, she lost 5 Lbs. Her goal now is to be 50% raw and try to eat healthy cooked food the rest of the time. Brewing your own Kombucha is really the way to go. Its very easy. Up until 5 months ago I lived in Alaska and I would have to spend almost $5.00 for a bottle. If you get a chance I would love to have your nacho dip recipe.

• Newby gone raw, just into my third day and lovin’ it! I am wondering what do you do with all that yummy almond mash after making almond milk? Any suggestions??

• PamPam

Rick, were you raw in Alaska? Gee, and I think it’s hard to get good produce in Illinois in the winter! I’m going to look into the tea. I’m looking for that energy burst. I had it when I was raw before but this time, although energetic, I seem to want to sleep.

The nacho dip is really easy. I just mash some avocado with a little lemon or lime juice and sea salt. I spread that in a small casserole dish. Then I top it with taco meat. Next, I layer on some fresh salsa made with tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, garlic, cumin, garlic, soaked sun-dried tomatoes (totally optional), chopped cilantro, and lemon or lime. That’s it! Stick in a little serving knife and you’re done. Scoop it up with a knife and spread on flax seed crackers. I use a recipe for “barbecue chips” because they are spicy and thin and seem to go especially well with the dip. I don’t have that recipe on hand but if you like, I’ll post it.

Island Tribe, I have a cracker recipe that uses almond pulp. There’s also a cinnamon roll recipe already on the site. I haven’t made the exact one that’s posted, but I did make another recipe. It’s delicious!

For the crackers, to 3 cups pulp, add 1 cup of water and 1 c. golden flax seed. Season with 1/2 t. caraway and 1/2 t. salt. Blend; dehydrate. I hesitate to post the recipe because I’ve never tried it. But if you do try it and like it, feel free to put it up.

Pam

• rawgirl1976rawgirl1976 Raw Newbie

Rick, I have been drinking Kombucha for over a year and I love it.I feel the same way, lots of energy. If you don’t mind me saying you are very handsome. The raw life style and the kombucha must really be working for you.

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I haven’t tried the kombucha but I will get some this weekend. Thanks Kandace for the link to the other forum I was able to see who sells it in houston. Which lucky for me is the place I get my organic foods!

• adam101adam101 Raw Newbie

I haven't tried it yet but I will be doing soon and I will posts some updates on here. I have read alot of websites and forums about it so I can get a better understanding of it all. What confuses me the most is the scoby. I have read its better to grow your own when starting off instead of buying one offline. It has lots of heath benefits but also some bad points I think, but what has't. We will just see how it goes. Its going to be trial and error. 

• adam101adam101 Raw Newbie

Rick, I have been drinking Kombucha for over a year and I love it.I feel the same way, lots of energy. If you don’t mind me saying you are very handsome. The raw life style and the kombucha must really be working for you.

"How did you first start off with your first batch of Kombucha? Did you buy your own scoby or did you make/grow one? 

I have been looking at starting first with black tea and then try green tea and herbal ones."

Bucha Belly
  • Bucha BellyBucha Belly Raw Newbie

I recommend using a Black Tea, and make sure it is organic! Any chemicals could harm your SCOBY.

The reason Black Tea is the most common for Kombucha you can boil it for longer to make sure you get all of the tea out of the leaves without getting a bitter taste (like over-brewed green tea.)

So if you are going to start experimenting with other types of tea, just don't over steep! 

Seattle Kombucha