Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

progress!

2»

Comments

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i posted on the american diabetes association forum about the raw diet, and it got deleted because they said it sounded too much like a solicitation for cure!! i was just trying to spread the word about how well i have done, in hopes that even one person might be willing to try it, and they deleted me, bastards!
    i ended up reposting, but having to completely reword everything, and all i got was flack from the members there, i think one person was supportive, and the rest were very accusitory
    like i was hitting a brick wall. i didn’t post too much over there anyway because, all it is is a bunch of people griping about how awful they feel and what sugeries they’ve had and are going to have and how depressed they are.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Bluedolphin- You think that why be why it tasted so sweet? I spray my veggies as they are growing in my garden. I figured all it could do was add more nutrition! I also spritz a little in the water that my parsley and dill are in. My hope is that it lasts longer.
    Stylistchick- You may have a good point there. It is unbelievable how many chemicals and heavy metals we have been exposed to that live in our bodies doing who knows what. I would be willing to bet that these substances could be a major cause or contributor to adult onset type 1 diabetes. I guess the big question is can the body eliminate them.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

stylistchick~ Sorry to hear you got that response, but it is not unusual for a supposed “support” site. Follow the power and the money to find out what the site’s or organization’s true agenda is.

On the other hand, I wonder what would happen if someone came on this site and said that raw foodism is a cult and/or meat, etc. is essential and anyone that doesn’t eat it is killing themselves… I don’t think the comment would get a friendly welcome. However, it would be a great opportunity for an interesting exchange of ideas if the people involved were willing to openly communicate without attacking/defending and come to the table checking their “need to be right” at the door. Just imagine… :)

deborahann~ Progress!!! It worked! ;-)

deborahann~ I am finding that taste can be effected by many things. It might be the extra sweetness is “caused” by the wheatgrass’ reaction to the kelp water. It could also be a change in your tastebuds due to what you have been eating. It would be interested to get your “super” wheatgrass analysis.

Anyone notice their taste changing the longer they eat raw? Anyone out there have the capability and willingness to do the nutritional composition analysis?

my tastebuds completely restructured!!!
    in a really miraculous way. i no longer crave sugar :) or at least sugary baked goods. now i’ll eat a few dates if i get a sweet tooth, and thats like a krispy kreme:)

also i don’t crave salt anymore

stylistchick~ Do you now love some foods that you previously hated and visa versa?

I’m wondering if the dates are a contributing factor of your increased insulin need. I wonder if there is something else that someone can recommend for you that will satisfy that craving and won’t effect your insulin need in the same way, if you are open to the suggestion… hm…. I’m not that versed in that area… Just a thought…

haha! i don’t eat them everyday!

i do eat alot of fruit, but mostly low glycemic.
    i usually juice one orange a day, but it doesn’t spike my blood sugar that much.

i don’t think you guys realize how severe my case is, if i ate a sandwich, baked bread , my levels would shoot up to 400 or higher without insulin. so for me try to “go off” insulin, i could be dead in a matter of a week if discontinued insulin therapy.
    even eating nothing my body requires a basal insulin,taken everyday to regulate my blood sugar. if i got the flu and wasn’t eating and didn’t take insulin, i could go into diabetic ketoacidosis with 48 hours, if severe enough,i could go into a coma. this is for real.
    i got diagnosed because i went into DKA, they told me i could have died if i waited a couple more days.

stylistchick~ No one, including me, is advocating going off your insulin “cold turkey.” That would be insane and, as you said, fatal. What is being supported is giving your body what it needs to continue to restore the proper internal balance such that it would be detrimental and uncalled for to use external insulin. DO NOT STOP YOU INSULIN at this point. You are not there, yet. It is a gradual process. Notice, your body has already begun to restore that proper internal balance. You have experienced that and the result is seen by your ability to decrease your external insulin needs. Do you see that?

BTW, I have spoken with folks that are classified as “brittle diabetics” that have stabilized their insulin needs such that, one in particular, is on an insulin pump (which was previously impossible due to the erratic insulin spikes that were not lifestyle produced). Other diabetics have significantly decreased their external insulin needs and some are stable and without need of external insulin. So I come from a place of seeing what is available in that area.

You may not be ready right now to hear options that are contrary to what you currently “know.” That’s ok. You are doing great. You have made a huge leap by shifting your food choices. When you are ready to expand your view in this area, just say so.

i’ve had tremendous progress. i guess i feel that as far as insulin intake, the progress was amazing at first, everyday i took less and less, and the progress seemed to halt and reverse,even though i was actually eating less and losing weight. it seems as though, logically i should still be decreasing but i’m not.

bluedolphin, you sound very knowledgeable on this subject, i love all your input, so thank you :)

i also think it is a matter of faith, which i don’t have at the moment, living with diabetes every single day is a very discouraging situation.

stylistchick~ Thank you for your concern about insulting me. You haven’t insulted me. I just have a different experience with diabetes (and wellness in general) than you and am ineffectively sharing that with you. I wish I could download my experience such that it would bypass whatever is blocking you at this point. Something is going on underneath what you have expressed and I haven’t picked up what it might be.

I get it that what you are going through can be hard, painful, scary, and the rest. I am simply pointing to a door to a difference experience for you. But at this moment you are not ready to venture that way. The door will be there for you if that is where you want to go. Many of us out here in Cyberland can point you in the direction of different accesses to the door of wellness when you are willing.

As to the ups and downs of diabetes (what follows is actually a model for improving wellness from whatever point one starts)

thank you for that, you are totally right, i’m peeling back the layers. patience has never been my best quality!
    you must have read my post before i edited it, i was worried that what i was saying might come off as insulting, but then decided to just not even acknowledge it and just thank you for your knowledgeable input and stay positve.
    i deal with so much ignorance on the subject of diabetes, and i forget that the people posting here are not the “average” people at all, that you might actually really understand.

:)

• I am excited by all this great information. I am type 2 diabetic and on insulin for 20 years. I lost a great amonunt of weight 3 years ago and was hoping my diabetis would get better – it didnt. I have gained back 40+ lbs.

Any tips on how to start out? I can not afford a trip to Arizona right now, but I have a strong will and I know I can be my own cheer leader.

Also what is the best juicer?

clinton

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Hi Clinton,

Here is a thread about juicers.

As far as getting started, some folks go full steam and some gradually work raw into their diet. Myself, I got on track by doing a cleanse with a naturopath in Portland (link here) and eating vegan from there. I also started adding a couple raw recipes a week, slowly replacing some of my favorites. For example, I love hummus so started experimenting with raw hummus. There is also a list of simple recipes that can be helpful to start out with. I should say, though, that I wasn’t trying to heal from an illness, so the path might be different.

i’m so happy you are considering giving this a try! i think you will be amazed how fast things can change.
    i don’t know if you work, but i would reccommend taking at least 5 or 6 days off when you first start if you are going for close to 100% raw. keep your fridge stocked with all your favorite fruits and veggies.
    keep taking the same amount of insulin, you will quickly notice that your requirements are dropping, and you can adjust 2 units lower every couple days of basal. if you are just taking insulin at meals, you may be able to wait and then check a little while after you eat to see if you need it. i think its good to eat as much as you want in the beginning, especially if you are dealing with hypo.
    i did alot of carrot juice the first 2 weeks, its very cleansing, but it also has a good amount of carbs, so i would keep it on hand when i went low. also keep some sweet fruit with you at all times because you will see your levels dropping. ( I CAN’T SAY THIS ENOUGH!! BE CAREFUL!!)

juice or smoothie for breakfast
    young coconut water for a snack at least once a day
    salad for lunch, or celery with nut butter, apple with nut butter
    raw soup for dinner or maybe mock tuna salad with greens
    (tons of recipes on this site)

after dark reach for juice or a piece of fruit if you get hungry.

i don’t know what your current diet is, so i don’t know if this will work for you. if you need something more transitional you can do miso soup and sprouted grain breads. also check out my recipe for sesame noodle, this is very filling and can be made 100 % raw.

IF YOU USE ANY ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS, GIVE THEM UP FOREVER!!! switch to agave or honey.

good luck!! can’t wait to hear your progress!

clinton, i saw in your profile that you have thyroid problems too. i mentioned this in another thread, but i no longer have to take thyroid medication. i was tested and my levels are now totally normal.
    theres alot of hope for you!
    also i forgot to mention, as a suggestion, that you might try to cut out grains for a while, because they lead to inflammation. try to do it for a couple weeks at least and see how you feel, then you can try to add grains and just observe how it makes you feel. instead eat nuts and seed.
    flax seed is very versitile, if you get a dehydrator you can make wonderful crackers and chips and breads, all grain free.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Clinton- Do you have any books on the lifestyle or healing using raw food? If you don’t there are some wonderful resources out there. There is a lot of info to process that’s for sure. I’m only a few months into it but I’m doing it to try to achieve optimum health and thwart disease. I got sick and tired of being tired!

stylistchick, clinton & anyone else~ From Raw Summit 2 avialble until 5pm PT on Saturday... Listen as a highly respected member of the traditional medical community talks about the politics of health and our ability to improve our health NATURALLY. No more relying on drugs, surgery or fad diets. Joel Fuhrman, M.D., Superior Health & Your Ideal Weight Expert, Author of “Eat To Live”. He mentions what he has experienced in his practice when it comes to diabetes and other health issues. To your wellness…