Soon, wider nutrition labeling

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSN…

I wonder if this rating system will apply to raw fruits and vegetables. Will they give a 90 to a bunch of collards and a 60 to a potato? An 88 to a blueberry, a 75 to an apple?

Comments

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

I clicked on that link and it didn’t work. Maybe this one will:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSN…

This is great, except that there is the potential for misleading info, such as with cholesterol getting a negative score – may not distinguish between good and bad (for example). I hope in the future they consider factors like pasteurization, fumigation, irradiation, etc. in light of nutrition

• Thanks, Newbie. Sorry for the bad link; that’s the article. What caught my eye was: “The scoring system will let consumers compare different types of the same food, so they will be able to tell not only that fruit is healthier than candy, but which fruits or candy are more or less healthy.” The idea that some fruits and vegetables are “healthier” than others is interesting to me.

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

Good point. Although, that would support the ‘super foods’ practice. Personally, I believe in moderation and variation.

On a separate note, I have been enjoying reading your biking blog. That’s something that I’d like to do someday, but on a smaller scale.

• I believe in moderation and variety, too. Except when it comes to tangerines and clementines, then I gorge without apology. Also bananas. Also kale, spinach, collards, so maybe I’m not into moderation after all.

I guess I don’t get why one fruit or vegetable would be healthier than another. It seems more like a limitation on the science than the food. I mean, one vegetable may be called a dud now, but very soon some breath-taking new study will show that white potatoes are actually much healthier than previously believed. Why is a blueberry “healthier” than beet tops?

Thanks for the nice comment about my writing. It was a fantastic trip, and I’m planning another, this time maybe around the world. The point of view of the new writing will different. I’ll write from the perspective of a raw food vegan trying to stay healthy while pedalling thousands of miles.