Sprouting?

How exactly do you go about sprouting seeds and other things? I’ve seen it mentioned in lots of recipes but I’m not quite sure how to do it. What items do you need? Or appliances? Thanx a bunch!

Comments

• Because concentrations of sulforaphane and other cancer-fighting substances are from 20 to 50 times higher in three-day-old broccoli sprouts than in mature plants, Talalay says that “small quantities of broccoli sprouts may protect against the risk of cancer as effectively as much larger quantities of mature vegetables of the same variety.” Broccoli sprouts, he believes, “offer a simple dietary means of reducing cancer risk.”

The above is taken from the original post, it is John Robbins’ reply to the person asking about sprouts. This is complete reductionism. If you eat food for a particular purpose like to prevent cancer then you shouldn’t be on a raw diet. Who says we even need to eat these anti-cancer substances? Maybe if you are eating at McDonald’s 6 days a week and on the 7th day you started to worry that you might get cancer so you start eating these broccoli sprouts, you might need this kind of ‘supplement’ but a person who obeys natural laws and lives in a healthful way doesn’t need to eat foods for particular reasons. If you love sprouts and can’t go a week without them, then go ahead and eat a few without worrying about the toxicity but they are not at all necessary to maintain health.

• You don’t have to invest much at all – maybe nothing – to get going with sprouting.

I sprout in colanders. Get some seeds. I use mung, buckwheat, sunflower, quinoa right out of the bulk bins at my local co-op. I use the hulled varieties. Other seeds, such as broccoli, radish, clover, etc, I get from the Handy Pantry stand in my local co-op. Bring them home and refer to any sprouting chart for soaking times. What you’ll find is that the “rules” vary greatly. Most seeds need to soak for something like 8 hours, give or take.

Once the things are soaked, you have to keep them moist, warmish and well-ventilated while nature does her thing. Rinse them 2 or 3 times a day. You can sprout in almost anything with varying degrees of success. I have used bowls, jars, sprouters and bags. My favorite thing right now is a colander. I have ones with various sizes of holes. Colanders make the sprouts pathetically easy to rinse! I put a plate or bowl underneath and one over the top to keep out dog and people hair. Since we heat our house with wood, this time of year I have to put the contraption over the pilot light of my stove to get it to around 70F.

In a few days, you get sprouts! You might want to move them into some light for a 1/2 day or so near the end if you need little green leaves.

Eat up, and definitely enjoy the phenomenal nutritional value of baby plants!!! Plus, this is a CHEAP source of greens.