Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Question about MSM.

shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

Hello,

I have just bought MSM in pill form and confused as to when to take it. Since it helps absorb minerals into your body, I’d assume it’s best to take it during the day, but have read otherwise. Does anybody here take it or know any information?’

Edit: I’m planning on taking this for my hair in 1000mg doses, every other day for a month and build up to taking it everyday.

Comments

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i wonder the same thing. i bought some to take for arthritis in my neck. is it best taken on an empty stomach? i have some chlorella supps. too, and i wonder if it matters whether i take them at the same time.

valeria, fiji water has silica in it!

• I am taking Biotin and MSM. They are both awesome.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Take MSM every 12 hours. It doesn’t matter when or on a full stomach or not – unless you find it bothers your tummy than maybe taking it when you eat or after might help.

MSM only stays in the body for a 12 hour period and gets eliminated. So, I would take in the morning when you wake up (I put mine in a smoothie when I take it) and than 12 hours later. Also it works best with Vitamin C so if you take it with fresh OJ or another food high in Vitamin C that would be best.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I bought a jar of powdered MSM. The instructions are to mix 1 scoop with 8 oz. water up to three times per day. I put mine in smoothies too.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I forgot to say that I use the powdered kind too. I don’t like swallowing pills.

Right now, I am using the Vitamin Shoppe brand but I prefer David Wolfe’s but the Vitamin Shoppe actually has one that already has Vitamin C in it which is nice if you don’t have high Vitamin C foods around. :)

Camu Camu is very high in Vitamin C and you can buy it in powder form and you don’t need alot of it so it will last a long time. Kind of tangy tasting. :)

Valeria, if you haven’t yet, you might want to do a search on here for MSM - there have been alot of threads on it with alot of good info. The whole idea with the 12 hour thing is just to always have MSM in your system – this is how you will get the best results.

Oh, also, if you are taking for your hair, the higher the dosage the faster your results will be (as far as fast growing hair goes) – but start out slow with your dosages when starting out of course. Try to get up to 1 tablespoon if you can. A few people have that take a tablespoon or more a day have said their hair is growing so fast. Make sure you get the other good hair foods in there too though – like cucumbers for silica and spinach for iron, etc.

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

Great! Thanks!

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

I’ve gotten good results with Natural Zing’s MSM.

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

Great site, thanks for the info!

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

What's MSM?

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Methylsulfonylmethane greenwood. MSM (Organic sulphur) is vital in the formation of keratin, collagen and elastin (disulphide bonds) which give flexibility, tone and strength to :- Muscles, bones, joints, internal membranes, skin, hair and nails.

to the poster who said Camu Camu is a good source of vitamin C there correct BUT only when consumed fresh or dried and consumed immediatley, Camu camu is very unstable in which case the amount of vitamin c perishes. Your better with amla berry which has tannins present to keep the vitamin C stable.

• I just talked with someone from Sunfood.com and was told they test the vitamin C content of their camu camu in the Pure Radiance product after it's processed. Most of the C in the product comes from the camu camu. He said it's due to their processing technique which is low temp/gentle.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

If i remember rightly pure radiance contains amla berry, acerola, rose hips etc also.

• Powerlifter-Do you remember where you found out that camu camu was so unstable? I tried to find info about that, but haven't. thanks.