Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Dehydrating with a toaster oven?

Is there anyone else out there who doesn’t have all the fun machines that allow for easy transition to the raw lifestyle? I have a blender only. I recently tried to make flaxseed crackers in my toaster oven.. it took about 10 hours at 100 degrees and then they came out kinda too hard and when I took them out they broke up into several peices. I guess I will have to keep trying. I think it is because I didn’t use that wax paper.. it may have been easier to get off of the baking sheet had I used that wax paper.

Comments

• NuttgirlNuttgirl Raw Newbie

I don’t have a dehydrator either. I would love to get some tips from other members on how to dehydrate food, especially greens, without having to buy one.

• Nuttgirl.. I hope this thread gets some responses.

By the way, I love your kitty.. my cat could be your cats sister.

• NuttgirlNuttgirl Raw Newbie

I don’t have the money right now to spend on a dehydrator so I am definitely looking for other alternatives. I’m hoping with all the creative minds on this board some one will chime in with some suggestions. :)

• I believe that there was a thread at one time that talked about using the light in your oven to dehydrate food. Apparently you still had to keep the oven door open with a dish rag so that it wouldn’t get too warm. I personally have never done this but some people stated that it worked.

• I use my oven on the lowest setting which is 60 degrees and I keep the door open. It’s nice and cool in there and it does the trick. I don’t tend to keep it in for long though, usually about a third of the time stated for the dehydrator time. I just keep checking it so that it doesn’t dry out completely.

• Oh I thought that since it is a lower degree, the food had to stay in longer. Thanks for the feedback,yall!

• I heard about making one using box fans as well…LOLLY: why do u keep the door open if the temp is 60 degrees?