Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Emotional support

Hi everyone,

I find that the toughest part of transitioning to a raw diet is the lack of emotional support that cooked food previously provided. We all remember how eating a big plate of pasta made our worries and the world more tolerable. Emotionally speaking, letting go of cooked foods is very much like giving up any other addictive substance, especially for those who experience severe detox symptoms. Many of us are fortunate enough to have eaten relatively healthy food before coming to raw, so these physical symptoms play more of a minor role. But, I would be willing to bet that most all who have made this decision have, at one time or another, felt themself scurrying for something grounding when raw food just wouldn’t do the trick.

So, what do you use to make it through those tough times? I usually find that some gentle yoga (being active really helps me) and a hot shower do the trick. The key is just to get ourself back in balance, and from there a steady mind will do the rest.

Best to you!

-Dave:)

Comments

• OneOne

Dave, i usually have a long hot bath or read a book to take my mind off whatever’s bothering me. I think it’s definitely good to find other ways of emotional support other than food! There’s nothing like talking to someone about problems, i am ever thankful for being able to call up my friends or talk to mum, etc.
    Best to you :)

• I agree with One, and I’m guilty of this, but emotional troubles shouldn’t be soothed with food. It’s always a good habit to get out of and eating raw might be a good opportunity to shake off it off.

• I completely agree with the both of you. It’s something thats simple and obvious, but at the same time is often overlooked. Food serves as a cover-up for unpleasant emotional circumstances. This definitely isn’t a healthy relationship. Going raw gives us the opportunity to ‘sit’ with these disturbances, and if nothing else, to find a healthier outlet for release. But after a lifetime of coverups, it’s kind of intimidating to consider all the things that may decide to poke their head out of the dark and come to the surface of our conscious lives. It’s tough, but worth the struggle.

Thanks guys,

-Dave:)

• Hot showers wash away so much, emotionally speaking, because they are so very soothing and comforting to me. Walking helps me de-fuse anger/frustration. Talking to a trusted friend (or sister) helps. I still slip sometimes because I have used/abused food for so long, but I’m getting it figured out. Raw has helped more than anything else keeping me clean, clear, and balanced physically and emotionally.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

A “trick” to dealing with those emotional cravings is to tell one’s self that if in an hour the craving is still there, then indulge. Usually the craving goes away in about 20 minutes. And if one does indulge, indulge and be done with it without guilt and condemnation. Sometimes it’s an option to do rather than ripping someone a new one, if you know what I mean…

In the same vein as indulging without guilt is to relanguage and drop value labels of “good”, “bad”, “wrong”, “right”, etc. Some relanguaging includes looking at “options” and making “choices”. With that, look at whether a choice moves one in the direction of a goal or away.

With all the suggestions from everyone, sometimes there is that huge urge to say to hell with it! That’s what it is to be human. 8)

• give yourself 10-15 min gentle head & shoulder massage focusing completely on the part being massaged. good thing is it can be done at anytime and any place (you can do this in restrooms if you are at office or outside). it may help you to divert your attention for a while and at the same time relaxes you.

• Bluedolfin, that was so beautifully said. I have no advice for you David, because I am struggling with the same stuff. At least you are not alone! It is extra hard when those around you want you to have just a little cooked food to make you feel better. Their intentions may be completely pure, but knowing your habits in the past, they assume that a little food will help you feel better. Ugh! Hang in there :)))

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I go to my “happy place” in my head and comfort myself with being there. Meditation works for me.
    Or aromatherapy oils in the bath…

I also have my stock of raw comfort recipes. If I get upset I can eat a whole raw curry, cake or pie to myself, guilt free :0