Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Starch?

I am a newbie to being raw. Infact I haven’t gone raw yet, just tryed two raw meals that both flopped : ( I am not giving up though. I decided that the best way to go would be to understand what foods do what. Who best to ask then thouse who have gone before? I was wondering what foods have starch? What foods are whole grain that you can eat raw?

I just heard that you need b12 and that it is only in meat? That can’t be true. Ok here is another question, would anyone mind sharing what are the staples in their diet?

It’s not just me, I have a husband and two children. 4 and 6.

I need a lot of help.

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I’d like to recommend a couple of books: Ani’s Kitchen by Ani Phyo for recipes, and The Raw Family by Vicyoria Boutenko – she turned her family raw and the book details the whole journey. She has a husband and two kids too.

It helps to read alot…it helped me with being confident eating this way.

You can eat any grain raw. Most people soak and sprout them. When they are sprouted they have maybe 10x more nutrients than when dried. We make sprouted grain into raw bread often called essene bread.

There have been lots of threads about B12 on here. This is a good one: http://goneraw.com/forums/3/topics/2126

When I was transitioning to raw I would eat a green smoothie in the morning or green juice. Then I’d have a big kale salad with a piece of cake or pie, and for dinner I’d have a raw pizza with some more pie or cake…and I’d fill up during the day with raw bread and cheeze.

It is helpful to make desserts, breads and main courses once a week in bulk. And just do your salads, smoothies and jucies daily.

It makes it cheaper and easier to have a dehydrator.

What you eat will change as you go along. I used to eat all that food when I was in transition, now I eat a couple of green smoothies and a salad a day, and that can be it. As you detox you take in more nutrients from your food and need less. It takes time but you won’t be having to make tons of recipes forever.

I couldn’t tell you how much food I have thrown away over the last 3 years! but it is alot…practice makes perfect, and the whole raw uncooking thing takes time to get a grip on. The good thing is that it gets easier with practice, and after 6 months or so making a raw pizza will be easier than if you were doing a SAD one.Just got to keep going. Make sure you have the correct measures – cups or spoons, don’t try to guess amounts just yet. Soon enough you’ll know what to do to save a rcipe if it goes wrong. I can pretty much sort out anything that goes wrong now, whereas at the start I’d just throw it away.
    We are all here to love and support you, please come here with all your questions!

Check out me and my hubby’s website for further info if you like:

• Thank you Zoe! I don’t have a dehydrator (we are saving for one) Do you recomend one?

• skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

excalibur dehydrators are like the cadillacs of dehydrators. i have a five-tray. it’s barely enough room and i only make food for myself, so i’d suggest a nine-tray for a family.

read lots of books! there is so much information out there, some of it conflicting, that i’ve found it best to just get my hands on as much info as possible and come up with my own conclusions.

great starter books: living on live foods by alissa cohen, the raw food detox diet by natalia rose, and raw food made easy for one or two people by jennifer cornbleet. green for life by victoria boutenko is an interesting read as well.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

yeah, we have got an excalibur, but we also have a huge homemade one we call King Arthur, which Chris made out of lightbulbs, cardboard and a shelving unit. It cost

• AleBrazilAleBrazil Raw Newbie

Ola Hollie!
    I am also a mom to a (soon-to-be) 4 y.o little boy and a 6 y.o.little girl.

We are transitioning to raw and my advice is

1- follow their rhythm. Go slow and it will be for good.

2- give them fruit. kids are natural fruit eaters. first get them eating fruit for breakfast and snacks.

3- Take baby steps: Vegetarian, Vegan then Raw Vegan. Is your family already vegetarian? No, then go veg. Yes, then go Vegan with some Raw. Then mostly raw… and so on.

4 – You are not the only one who messed up on the first recipes: WE ALL DID!
    So practice and do not feed the family messed up recipes, it just gives them an excuse to complain.

5 – Start cutting out industrialized and processed foods (slowly). Truth is, if you don

• Thank you ale. It does help. We went vegiterian a few months ago. Then went vegan sometime after that. I discovered raw while looking for recipies that didn’t have gluten and sugar.

That said it has been rather fast. I didn’t think about the side effects.

Thanks for the book ideas skizzy

Zoe, Is there a way to get the plans for a homemade dehydrator?

Thanks you guys