Flax Seed

O.k….I am going to expose my “dirty little secret” in hopes of getting some guidance, and expanding my recipe bank. I HATE the taste of flax seeds! Every recipe I try with flax seed I ended up not eating. To me, it tastes like bleach. Is there anyway to substitute another ingredient for the flax? I have tried every raw bread, cracker, and tortilla recipe that I have found (and they all have flax seed), and can’t find a single one that I like. I was thinking maybe hemp seeds would work as a substitute? I have never tried them though, and wonder if they have the same bleachy taste as flax…Humanimal, I know you use a lot of hemp, what does it taste like? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hemp seeds have a similar nutritional profile and taste much better to me. They’re kind of nutty. I like ‘em.

• PamPam

I have a couple of recipes you might like. I can’t take the time to post them right now, but here they are. (One recipe has only 3 T. of flaxseed in it. I’m sure you won’t notice it, and you could probably just leave it out):

Sunflower Cheese Crackers (Kim Wilson). 2/3 c. sunflower seeds, soaked for at least 6 hours, ½ c. almonds, soaked for at least 8 hours, ½ c. water, juice of 1 lemon, 3 T. tahini, 3 sun-dried tomato halves, 1 T. olive oil, ¾ t. turmeric, ¾ t. sea salt, ½ t. paprika, pinch cayenne. Puree all ingredients until smooth. If making cracker, spread ¼ inch thick and score into small squares. Dehydrate for at least 12 hours until crisp.

Everybody’s Favorite Crackers (Ivan Boutenko’s recipe). 1 cup soaked sunflower seeds, 1 cup soaked walnuts, 1 cup soaked almonds, 1 tomato, 1 cup red onion (chopped), 3 tablespoons flaxseed, 3 teaspoons cumin seed, 2 teaspoons salt. Mix in food processor or Champion Juicer with blank on. Spread on parchment paper or TefIon sheets. Make them very thin. Then using a pizza cutter, cut in squares. They will be easier to break into pieces when dry. Dehydration time is about 15 to 20 hours.

If you, or someone else, would like to post the recipes and credit the author, please do!

Pam