Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Not raw

JoescJoesc Raw Master

I am always trying to research more information to see if certain products are truly raw. I found a website that had some intriguing information that I didn’t know. It is Issue#7. I knew about the nuts but I didn’t know about the carob powder or the cold pressed oil. I don’t understand why companies are so greedy to mislead there consumers. Read the article tell me your opinion.

Comments

• Mangoes that are imported to USA (and I believe papayas as well) are also not raw as they must be soaked in 117 degree F water for at least 75 to 90 minutes before they are allowed to enter the country. The water is also chlorinated to avoid the infestation of microbes. So when you eat a mango you are in fact not even getting a raw fruit but a cooked fruit. Unless of course they are grown in the USA.

Here is a link related to this:

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/fs/irr…

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

I do agree with that statement about mangoes. Anything that ripens that ripens and does not need to be refrigerated is a living food. Now notice with cooked food that its needs to be refridgerated even to last 2-3 days and then it spoils. Does not happen with mangoes of other fresh fruit. Fresh fruit needs to be alive to ripen and break down starches. Just think if we would say that all fruit is treated in the manner that you have said. We would have virtually nothing left to eat. Organic? first of all how do you know what you are getting is really organic and not treated? And plus organic fruit and veg is very high priced and no many people can afford to eat solely organic products. All fresh fruit (not including some nuts) that we receive is raw and living. Take its seed or seeds and place it in the ground what do you get? you get a beautiful sprouting plant. Place cooked food and what do you get? no life. It just decomposes. If you do not believe what I am saying then try it for yourself.

God Bless, Vaughn

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Thanks for the link. I think the article is great. I had to finally update our Dead Food List page on www.purelyraw.com. I had read about the cacao process before but was putting off changing the page. The article inspired me to get it done. Thanks again. Chris

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I read the article Socal, and that is outrageous. I don’t eat the mangoes in the states because they aren’t as good as the mangoes in Jamaica. The mangoes are not as sweet and big either. It is common for people to have fruit trees and because people do have a tendancy to get worms it is common to give children and adults worm medicine.

I do agree with you Vaughn that we really don’t know if the fruit that is oranganic is organic. It is like the pet food that was killing pets. Some of the food were labeled premium, and cost more. All the food was either mixed together or it was the same food.

I did read an article and I will have to see if I can find it about acidic sprays on almonds. It seems this spray is suppose to help kill bacteria but it is obsorbed by the almond and then the consumer. I will see if I can find it and then post it.

• I can’t believe it!! Everything is not raw! I’m finding this to be very discouraging, I thought I was doing so well too…it makes me doubt if this is possible, esp. for a young college student on a tight budget

• Just keep doing what you’re doing. Don’t be discouraged (I know its so easy to be). But its impossible to be perfect and 100% raw 100% of the time.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

shambavi, you can do it on a tight budget. Me and Chris used to be on a tight budget, and we just bought normal fruit and veg from the supermarket, not organic, just raw, and made lots of filling recipes. You don’t need superfoods, supplements or exotic things, just normal fruit and veg.

Go to asian food markets and shops and you’ll find everything half price of supermarkets. Go to the supermarkets at the end of the day when they reduce stuff – ask the shop assisstants when to come in so that you catch all the reduced produce.

We made lots of dehydrated breads – which are very cheap to make, just grain and leftover veggies really. And we made almond cheese to put on top, or marinated vegetables etc. You can do a lot with just everyday items. We live in a cold country which imports 90% of it’s produce (that was a guess not an ‘actual’ statistic) and we were totally skint for the first year we were raw, so I think if we can do it, anyone can! Actually I think in the long run it is cheaper than cooked because we don’t spend any money going out to eat, we don’t buy cups of coffee here and there, we don’t nip down to the shop for chocolate and a packet of crisps, we don’t eat pizzas or any junk food, no fizzy drinks, alcohol or sweets. All that stuff adds up, but just because our weekly shop costs more we don’t think about all the ‘extras’ which we don’t buy any more.

I hear what you are saying Barose, but I have to say that I disagree with you. It is possible to be 100% raw for 100% of the time. Chris and I do it and we are living in such a happy, healthy state because of it, we don’t need any other motivation, this being 100% raw is doing it for us alone. Don’t give up Shambavi, go for it!

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

When I am on a tight budget it is cheaper to buy fruits in bulk and some greens. I was able to buy a weeks worth of food with $20 this past week.

• Zoe, I see what you’re saying too. We’d have to agree to disagree. And I don’t mean deliberately eating something that is “in your face” not raw, but for example: I travel somewhat often and in certain areas (even veggie friendly cities) I have a hard time finding something that is 100% raw. I ordered a sprout salad that had pumpkin seeds. I asked if they were raw, the waitress said yes. I asked about the dressings and it had either had soy powder or canola oil so I asked for no dressing (I could have asked for EVOO but who knows if its really extra virgin). 1/2 way through my salad I realized the pumpkin seeds were not raw; they were toasted. Oh well, there goes 100% raw for that day! Next time I order salad have nuts or seeds, I will have them put it on the side so I can test it first. But beating yourself over it is not helpful or healthy either.

• Shambavi,

I’m student too and to cut money I’m growing a garden this year. Do you have any land to do one on or a friends just an idea ...

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I’m sorry Barose, I didn’t understand. I wrongly assume that people do not eat in restaurants. You are right, you can’t be 100% while ‘cooked fooders’ are preparing your food. Wait staff tend to want to please, which means saying yes when asked a question. A cooked foodist would not really understand what it means for a product to be actually raw. That’s why you see ‘Raw Cashews’ everywhere. They are NOT roasted and salted, like the one’s they are sitting next to, so they’re ‘Raw’.

• I know what you mean. I normally dont eat at cooked food restaurants (I only eat at the raw ones here at home when I go out) unless I know exactly what I’m ordering. But raw foodies travel and we have to eat at a certain point ;)

I think she really didn’t know if they were roasted or not. They looked raw from the surface – they wasn’t brown, but they were pretty crispy instead of flat and chewy when I started eating. I would have been upset if I was eating something I was allergic or intolerant to such as gluten, soy, dairy (it was a vegan place so I didnt worry about dairy).

• I agree with Vaughn. That is why I have never been on the organic band wagon. Especially after working at a organic market. Plus I am cautious of anything that is USDA regulated. The truth is if you are not growing or preparing your food. You have to be cautious. Soaking fruits and veggies in apple cider vinegar is effective for killing pesticides, bugs etc.