Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Try it: Papaya Seed Cleanse

AleBrazilAleBrazil Raw Newbie

Here in Brasil ingesting WHOLE Papaya seeds is a traditional home remedy for cleansing. The traditional healers and herbalists say it is especially great for cleaning out Parasites, cleansing the intestines and constipation. It is still very common for mothers to give it to their children.

Remember:
THE SEEDS MUST BE SWALLOWED WHOLE. NO CHEWING!

The scientific reasoning behind it is that the seeds are covered by that jelly-looking fiber.

Tip: It is easiest if you swallow a spoonful of papaya with whole seeds. You may have soft stool as it is a natural laxative, afterwards you will feel lighter.

Good cleansing!
Al

dianap872

Comments

• Cool. How many seeds? Just one spoonful?

• AleBrazilAleBrazil Raw Newbie

oh no. All of them!

1 small papaya or 1/2 a large papaya daily for up to 7 days.

They will come out in your poop, do

dianap872
  • germin8germin8 Raw Master

Fascinating!

• Can you do this cleanse just eating raw along with it?

Yse Sky Princess,
    You should eat whatever it is that you normally eat.

Its even great for people who eat regular SAD.

But I

• Ok, how long should you do it (is 7 days the traditional way to do it, or should you do it shorter?)?
    Can you do the seed thing just whenever you happen to eat papaya or does it have to be exclusively a few day thing?

• Aaaah OOOOkay :)
    First I thought, you mean ONLY eating one papaya a day for a weak (and nothing else), which put me off gg But you mean, eating it just additional to whatever else, right?
    I have to try that, as I love papaya… Haven’t had one for quite a long time though…. they’re quite expensive and I can’t get organic/fairtrade ones here..
    Thanks for the interesting post!

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

Hey Ale! thanks so much for your post. this is my first day trying this papaya cleanse… those seeds were hard to swallow! i’m not too used to the taste of papaya either… but its worth it right?

i had a half of a large papaya today and the corners of my mouth are BURNING! and the corners of my nose too… is that normal?

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I’m a little confused… I’ve read many times about the seeds being great for cleansing, but everything I’ve read said to chew or blend up the seeds rather than swallow them whole ???

Dear Coconutty,
    as I have mentioned this is a traditional remedy, so its been around for generations. As for chewing Papaya seeds, I tried it and it is yucky.

Either way, I gues you could chew it, but I promise it ie easier if you swallow whole. As I said the black seed is insoluble fiber. It goes right through and acts like a brush in your intestines.

• AleBrazil, how long does this take to work?? (Meaning, how long should I eat it before leaving for class in the morning?? =] )

kundalalita, how long did the burning last? How did your stomach take it? (I’m not familiar w/ this cleanse… but I am curious.)

• leigh starleigh star Raw Newbie

Thank you so much Ale!
    I am loving this cleanse! It is so simple and it’s really turned me onto papayas!
    xo

dianap872
  • kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

germin8, the burning on my mouth and nose continued the next couple times i ate the papaya, it is a similar thing to what i have experienced eating too much pineapple (although not on my nose!) but after those few times it went away and i have been having papaya almost everyday ever since this post went up. There weren’t any negative effects on my stomach, only positive, its gentle and effective. The first couple days i noticed like white mucousy stuff in my stool…glad thats getting out!

I went from being totally unfamiliar and a little grossed out by papaya and esp papaya seeds to loving and craving the fruit and especially the Seeds! thanks again Ale!

Oh yea, my boyfriend loves it too! we fight over who gets more seeds hehe

Thanks for giving us an update kundalalita. I had no idea you did this more than once!

How long will (or can) the papaya cleanse continue for?

• FreesiaFreesia Raw Newbie

I’ve been eating papaya seeds for years, without the knowledge of their cleansing properties. It’s only that I’m too lazy to remove them… lol!!
    Thanks for the info AleBrazil.

Matt_Raw
  • AKAAuburnEyesAKAAuburnEyes Raw Newbie

I love papaya. If I absolutely had to pick a favorite fruit, that would be it (but I really love almost all fruits). Anyway, I did a search for papaya and found this and just ate all the seeds in my half papaya. Usually I throw them out. Sounds like a great way to cleanse though and I am sure I could use it. Thank you AleBrazil~!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

kundalalita -

I think what you were experiencing were either the fact that papaya has a high concentration of enyzmes that are known to have exfoliating properities for the skin (remember when all those papaya skin products were coming out that claimed to “peel” or exfoliate the skin and heal it) or the fact that some people can have a papaya latex allergy because of the all the papain in papaya – did you eat a green papaya? It sounds like your skin adjust though.

I would love to try this cleanse but I have such a hard time swallowing even the tiniest pill I don’t know if I could handle it. Esp would be nice if it cleans mucuos out. Did any one feel any discomfort when stooling?

• I must go buy a few papayas now! Is it necessary to take a laxative tea with it? I know that with a lot of cleanses the high fibre component should be taken with a tea to keep things moving….

• alissas2246alissas2246 Raw Newbie

Wow, amazing AleBrazil! Your country's remedy confirmed what I "discovered" a few days ago about papaya seeds!

Recently, I ate half a papaya before going to bed. I simply cut a papaya in half and used a spoon to scoop up the flesh. Of course, I threw alway most of the seeds but didn't manage to get all of them out and when I chewed on them I just hoped they weren't poisonous (lol). Some seeds had no taste when chewed on but some gave a stinging sensation that went up my nose! It was almost like I drank a strong chemical. The only other food that I know gives this taste is wasabi. I thought that was strange and meant that I shouldn't be eating the seeds but I didn't get any adverse affects.

The next morning, half an hour after getting out of bed, I had a strong urge to go which I hadn't felt in a long time and it was surprisingly effortless to pass motion. I felt great and ten times lighter than I've ever felt and was determined to include more papayas in my diet. But I had no idea that it was the SEEDS (that I didn't bother to throw away that night) that gave the effect because eating readily cut papayas from stalls didn't do anything for me.

So now I plan to store the seeds in a container in the fridge and eat around a teaspoon like a supplement every night as I think it takes around eight hours to work and you'd be ready to go in the morning. 

As of now, I'm not sure whether:

1. you absolutely need to eat the papaya fruit along with the seeds for effect
    2. if it will cause dependency for the seeds leading to tolerance

I'm really glad I found this remedy as it's definitely better (and healthier) than relying on caffeine for the same reaction. I was dealing with bloating, gassiness and VERY sluggish bowel movements and tried to increase my fibre and water intake as much as possible. But even after almost a year, that didn't really work so I went on hunting for natural laxatives. All the bloating and constipation also made me feel lazy and unproductive so it was really taking a toll on me. What usually "resets" my system is if I fast for a day or if I drink coffee but I'll eventually develop a tolerance to caffeine have to rotate the days when I can drink coffee. Here's to papaya seeds! *clinks glass*

• isyswisysw Raw Newbie

WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOGUS GU!

Shouldn't we be fasting or juicing to hollow our colons rather than excessively consuming highly potent toxins to kill parasites which may even be beneficial to have around?  

A whole papaya seed wad first causes menstruation, then a  colonic, sure, so never do it pregnant or lactating. . . but by the second day, there's a freaking light at the end of the tunnel. I mean maybe if you've been eating red meat your whole life you can tolerate this much cleansing, but the brillo pad on a vegetarian is so highly toxic, it's virtually hallucinogenic, and causes heart palpitations. .  WTF??!!!  Most informed studies say a couple seeds  with meals is plenty.  How about controlling for once what we put into our bodies rather than manipulating our digestive systems to pull off the great hollow body rather artifically.  Papaya seeds have latex in them.  After the third day, though I feel refreshed like a virgin, I actually feel like I am wearing panties on the inside of my body.  Sure, nobody's perfect, I fall down at the fireworks, the carnival,  I do this cleanse once in a blue moon because I cannot tolerate the psychic influence of lovers and their past lovers, etc. . . and I discovered it when I miscarried from a fall on a stone at a park chasing after my kid who was running in a guarded off area.  Three days later she called me a rotten potato and E.R.  said "No way! No go!", so I had a whole one,  I lost ear to a half gallon of body tissue.  No way!  No go!  Papaya seeds are much more potent than the whole thing every day.   Vanity is not life!  Vanity is just laziness!  Today I consider myself lucky to be alive, unlike 53 victims of mudslides in the South of France and Uganda in the last three days, come to find out, since I've been searching for the perfect pu! When the Thumbelina passed, I was seven weeks along, two years ago today, I actually shat a pink chalk stick from beet juice and wildwood tofu, no swampy fecal matter, a god right?  DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!  I so thank God for my life every moment and look forward to the little biomicrobial population I can foster with a righteously austere lifestyle unhindered by the pressures of modern society and oral self abandonment*

TammiTrue