vitamins toxins?

I just head about some legislation that poses to take the vitamins off the shelves and require a prescription. I didn’t read the article myself, and I was wondering if anyone else had heard about it? Some orginization calling vitamins toxins? I think they are called kodax or something like that. Not trying to scare anyone, just wondering if anyone else had heard the same.

And what is up with pasturizing all leavy greens? I couldn’t believe that either. I am new to the raw food thing, and I was just wondering about theses things.

Comments

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Hi Hollie~

Yes, there is a movement in Europe and the US to move vitamin availability to a doctor’s prescription. The organization that is heading up the push is CODEX. There is also the influence of big pharma to limit access to nutrition. Search on it for the pro and con arguments.

Interestingly, in the US we have DSHEA (Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994) that actually allows us to legally discuss health benefits of nutrition. However, there is still lots of restrictions. In addition, recently there has been some General Manufacturing Practices (GMP) that were passed that all nutrition companies must abide by in the next few years, which is a good thang. The intention of these GMPs is to assure the consumer that what the label says is in the bottle of a nutritional product is actually there and there is scientific standards being meet. Many nutritional companies have manufacturing practices that do not insure the consumer of good quality and scientifically validated products. This has lead to consumers being disillusioned about the actual benefits of good nutrition and have, frankly, been defrauded. There is going to be a big shake up in the nutrition industry in the next few years that will hopefully shut down the shady companies and will bring a new sense of consumer confidence.

More than what you wanted to know? Happy surfing! :)

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Yep… it all boils down to $$$$$! Someone’s agenda is getting threatened! Look into DSHEA! It came about because one of the author’s relative had a condition that would have benefitted (like which one won’t) from specific nutrition and the doctor was not legally able to speak to the patient about it. The patient died.