Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

coconuts

so there is a lot of talk on here about young coconuts, so I decided to buy one at the grocery store the other day. I just bought a regular coconut, but is that different than a young coconut? if it’s not, how the heck do you get into those things?

Comments

• very interesting…thanks!

• Young coconuts are quite different than the mature ones usually seen at the local grocery store. Young coconuts are FULL of what they call coconut water that is electrolyte rich. I personally swear to coconut water being more refreshing than water during the hotter summer months. I have read from numerous sources that the coconut contains lauric acid, which aids in breaking down deposits of body fat. You would be surprised at the many benefits and uses of coconuts. You may find the water and jelly a bit rich for the palate at first it took about a half dozen or better for my wife to get used to it and a couple more before she was hooked. My two boys were hooked from the start and froth at the mouth every time I open one. If you are having trouble finding young coconuts in your local market try a local Asian food market if you have one available. They often will shoot you a deal if you buy them in quantity, on a consistent basis. They will also give you directions if you ask on how to open one which will most likely include using a machete and be at the risk of losing fingers. There is a safer and less messy way I have found that takes a couple extra minutes if interested.

• grounded,
    we have the young ones around, mainly i’ve seen them at tj’s and whole foods. but it’s hard for me to shop there alot cuz i can’t always afford the things that i want (i’m a college student on a small income!) i am interested in that no-so-dangerous way of opening one…if you would like to share :)

• What’s the difference between the young and the “old” coconut, in taste and so? I’ve only tried the young ones, but they are riddiciously expensive up here, and sometimes they’re not even “good”.. no wonder when they’ve travelled half the globe. :-|

• Are young coconuts the same as green coconuts? I haven’t had either, but I saw a green one yesterday at Tescos and bought it, and I’m going to try my best to open it tonight for Dinner :)
    It looks quite solid though (not such a nice white thingy as I know from “young coco pics”). Maybe it’s the same, just with an additional not-removed outer shell?
    How do you open it? Hopefully I won’t need any power tools…. g

• Hello

Okay so I read Grounded reply and he mentioned the jelly. I opened my first young coconut tonight and did not eat it because I wasn’t sure it was okay since the meat was as he said like a jelly.

Is that okay? I used a shucking knife to peel the outer husk and my husband used a hammer to crack it open after I drained the milk.

Is that the best way to open? And more information about the texture of the jelly would reassuring.

Thank you so much