Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Plantains...

teadeteade Raw Newbie

I’ve been reading about how a banana is a hybrid of a plantain and whatever else
(Bananas can’t reproduce themselves)
Now, I’m wondering what the difference is between the two (besides the seeds of course)
I bought some really ripe plantains today, and tried alittle and it tasted fine to me! Just like a banana, maybe with a little vanilla-ey cream taste?
But I wasn’t sure if you can just eat a plantain (many people say to cook them) but by the taste alone, Id be okay eating it raw….
.... but just wanted to make sure it doesn’t cause a laxative effect or something..

does anyone else eat them?

Comments

• Plantains are excellent raw, just make sure they are very very ripe. They need to be totally black on the outside before they are fully ripe and soft to the touch. Bananas and plantains are hybrids, so don’t worry about that. Nearly every food grown has been hybridized, hybridization occurs in nature always. Of course the fruits were hybridized to make them sweeter and last longer on the shelf but hybridization is occuring always in nature and there is nothing wrong with it. The original banana was not hybridized by humans but by nature.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I love plantains and eat them raw regularly. I don’t think they are as sweet as bananas and their texture seems denser to me.

• I grew up in the tropics and have eaten my share of green and ripe plantains. Presently I use the very ripe plantains in a similar way we ate them growing up peel the very dark and ripe plantain, slice on the diagonal, so your slices are long and aprox. 1/4 inches thick. Lay on mesh screen of dedhydrator and dehydrate until desired stage I dehydrate till dry on the outside, and slightly soft and pliable. You’ll begin tasting and won’t be able to stop… Lay on plate and pile raw mango salsa on top. Just tropically divine!

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

mmm, sounds delicious!
    thanks all!
    I’m going to keep buying plantains now, they are soo yummy!

• plantains are just more starchier than a banana. i am glad you can eat them raw. will have to try with my dehydrator and then top with balsamic vinegar. yum yum