Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

the old protein debate

MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

So I know on a raw diet I am supposed to be getting healthy digestible protein from vegetable sources. And I believed this to be the case for the past year but… right now? Not sure what is going on. I’ve been 90% raw for a year now and all of a sudden seem to be gaining weight.( past 6 weeks) I’m losing my mind. I’m not over eating. Not consuming too many nuts. Maybe I’m not eating enough and I’m unwittingly in starvation mode. I have noticed though that when I ate raw fish maybe 3 times in the past year I weighed ‘less’ in the next day. I’ve read in Carol Alts books that she needs raw fish etc…. Anybody out there got suggestions. I am flummoxed.

Comments

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

I actually noticed that when I cut back on nuts and added legumes, my weight seemed to lower and I felt less bloated.
    Now, of course I only eat chickpeas so far… cause they make goood hummus.
    I’m trying to find a way to make lentils taste good (at least until I run out of them and get a different bean)
    But that’s just me, I’d love more low-fat sources of high protein.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Could you have thyroid issues?
    What about weight training? Keeping the muscle level up will dramatically help the metabolic rate.
    The body also acclimates to the exercise we do. Have you switched up your regular exercise? I think fluctuating hormones can also allow this to happen.I’ve gained 15 Lb but I was on a sugar and junk food binge for 3 mo.! I’ve finally returned to healthy eating on 1/1 but the weight is NOT moving. I am not exercising enough and I sometimes do eat too many nuts! I’m hoping that as I progress toward more low fat foods that I will start losing again.I refuse to buy another wardrobe of larger clothes!

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Deborahann,

I’ve wondered about my thyroid. It is possible. I was tested years ago and fell in the normal range , altho’ I know there is lots of controversy over what is normal.No doubt hormones are at play here and that pisses me off no end because I feel at the mercy of plummeting progesterone levels. Exercise is a problem because I have a bulging disc at L4/5 which is fine if I don’t MOVE!! But if I walk/ try even gentle yoga ( used to be an ashtangi thus the back injury) The pain in my butt and leg becomes excruciating.I recently bought a rebounder and after 3 days of gentle bouncing the anvil in my arse came back. Obvs I’m a tad frustrated. Weights may be my best option. I used to do weights for years but it became sooooooooooooborrrriiiiinnngggg. Rats. I’m just unwilling to become a pile of static mush.

• DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

Marichiesa,
    in order for me to properly help you, I would need more information such as a food log for a week, your age, health, emotional state, stress level, lifestyle … If you are interested in receiving a free overall assessment please email me directly on tuesday am (I am off sund/mond). My email address is on the contact page of my website. www.EmotionalSerenity.com
    May this be helpful : )

• How did you injure your back in yoga?

• I found the book “Raw Food Life Force Energy” by Natalia Rose to be very enlightening. She stresses the importance of proper food combining to be essential to losing and keeping weight off. I actually started using this principal because of constipation problems, trying to find a way to make the digestive process more efficient and easier for my body. I wasn’t doing it with the intention of trying to lose weight, already being at a good weight for myself. I lost 10 pounds without making any other changes other than the proper food combinations. I think the book would be incredibly helpful in many ways.

Shane,

I pushed too hard too fast in my practice. I am super flexible which turns out to be more hindrance than help in the long run. I was able to achieve difficult poses but did not feel discomfort until hours later. I think the trigger was sitting forward bend. I also had a well meaning instructor who was overly aggressive in his adjustments.

Bkhand40,

I started raw foods because of Natalia Roses first book.I think her approach is very sane and I have been living and breathing food combining for the past year. All to great success until this past month and a half. Its all really weird. I keep looking at the stars to see if I’m missing some sort of planetary shift in the cosmos! ;o)

• Thanks, Marichiesa. I’m sorry to hear that, and it must be painful for you on several levels. I’ve just started a yoga practice, and I love it. It’s addictive! But I also feel like I’m pushing too hard and too fast. I feel it in my hamstrings, though, not in my back. So your writing is a lesson. And reading your experience is serving as a warning, so thanks for sharing. I’m finding it a challenge to be patient, and not so ambitious.

Do you practice at all now? Can you ease into it again?

• other than nuts and greens where do you get your protein?
    I’ve been making ‘pudding’ in the morning with two fruit and a serving of hemp protein powder.. sometimes brown rice protein but it’s a little gritty. I like the powders because they’re relatively low fat/fat free.. and obviously high in protein, but I’m in search for other things to incorporate as the protein powders get boring fast..

• Apparently it is very hard to get a protein defficiency. Human breast milk is only 1% protein. What does that tell you…protein mebbe slightly overated?

• NuttgirlNuttgirl Raw Newbie

I really like hemp seed as a source for protein. I find it very easy to digest and it is easy on the taste buds too.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Most fruits and vegetables have all 8 essential amino acids. Plus, them being raw is what counts. It is believed that if you have 35 grams of protein from raw food, you are really getting more than if you had 70 grams of unhealthy cooked and possibly SAD protein. Usually though, people eat much more protein then necessary and this causes serious health issues.

Shawn

Yeah I think am getting enough protein. I think my problem is that I am 40 and not 30! lol So coming to terms with my changing bod is a challenge.

Shane,

I’m glad my experience can help you. I miss my yoga practice terribly. It has been a real loss in the past year. I have tried a few super gentle classes but…no go. I push myself too hard in general and yoga showed me that the hard way. My doctor told me a year ago that I will heal but it will take 2 full years minimum. Its ironic really because altho’ I pushed myself into this state of affairs I felt the best and strongest and most balanced about my body/soul EVER when I yoga-ed regularly. AH vell.;o)