Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Always Hungry

I did 30 days of raw food. My biggest problem is constant hunger. The salads and fruits are tasty and great, but just as I finish eating them. I get that thought “What else can I eat?”. Any suggestions?

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I bought a Saladacco spiral slicer and I make pasta lately, all the time. Sauce can be nearly anything. I particularly like ripe bell pepper and pumpkin seed sauce, but you can use nuts and other veggies as well. I like to make parmesian cheese from pumpkin seeds and sea salt, ground in a small coffee grinder. One zucchini will make enough “noodles” to cover your plate.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

the more i’ve been learning about raw food the more it seems that we actually don’t need very much food. that said, the detox process is pointless if you do it too fast. fruits and veggies metabolize quickly and let your body get to the detox quicker… if you are not clean enough at first, this will leave the “waste” nowhere to go and all those poisons will just be lurking around in your cells.

my advice is to detox SLOWLY. fats and starches are good brake pedals (and will leave you feeling full). make sure you eat them well combined. good starches could be: squash, yam, carrot, quinoa… fats: avocado, seeds, nuts. the great thing about avos is that they combine well with starch, so that would be a filling meal: i.e. grated squash “rice” (chop up some bell pepper, etc… for extra color) with avocado.

another thing i love to do is mandoline a whole bunch of starchy root veggies and eat that with avocado (you can even mandoline that!) and a drizzle of lemon. it’s very dramatic and colorful: red and yellow beet, carrots, jicama, turnip… with a green salad in the middle

hope that helps.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Sounds like your metabolism is a little off. You were most likely used to eating and digesting bulk which took a very long time to digest. I recommend that you go on a 10-30 day juice fast that will increase your energy and help you detoxify but also it slows your metabolism down so that you feel fuller on less food and get more nutrients out of less food. Also, your stomach will shrink. Today is day 21 of my 30 day juice fast.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Maybe you’re not eating enough. You didn’t say how much you were eating. If you eat green leaves all day and no fat, no fruits sugars, you’re going to be hungry. Extreme low calorie diets equal hunger. What is your typical day like in food?

• I’m still learning, but herbal teas may be of some help. Eat as much as you want for a meal and then drink only herbal teas until next meal (typically between lunch and dinner).

• shgadwa: I started raw after a 30 day master cleanse.

• Alix1962: I was eating a lot of salads, not so much leafy, more carrot, beats, tomato, onion, etc. I was having soups with olive oil, avocado and whatever I found chopped into it. Some nuts as well. I just kept eating…

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

This meal satisfies me like nothing else: A big fruit salad with 2-4 fruits and a few dates. If I’m really hungry, I’ll add some avocado. You could also add nut cream. This meal satisfies me completely – I’m full, light, energized and not hungry for hours.

I don’t know why it is but eating pieces of fruit out of hand leaves me hungry, and eating the same fruit cut up in a fruit salad fills me up. YMMV.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Okay, give it more time. I spent the first two months being hungry all the time, wow! Especially bad because I’ve been a compulsive eater all my life. But the last month, things are easing up and I’m becoming more satisfied, even with less food. I was really surprised when I grew an appetite for these foods, instead of having to eat them as a chore. (I started out with salads also. They were the only things that came naturally for me to eat raw.)

Anyhow, maybe you should add fruits. I know we’re all taught that fruit is bad, is full of “sugar”, rots the teeth, blah, blah, but it’s actually the opposite and is quite satisfying. Lots of vitamins, necessary fluids and good healthy fiber, which helps to fill the stomach.