store-bought org. salsa

juicyjuicy Raw Newbie

Okay I know technically this shouldn’t be eaten, but is this actually cooked? I don’t have a food processor and the magic bullet turns my salsa into a salad dressing…very good but not what I am looking for.

Comments

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Depends on where you are—some locally-produced salsas are sold raw, but that probably is more common in areas where salsa is especially common (Texas, California, etc.). It does seem that it’s getting more popular everywhere, though! Co-ops are probably your best bet for finding local salsas. The more commercial versions are almost certainly pasteurized. If any unpasteurized versions are to be found, they should be in the refrigerated area of the store—they are very perishable! Another option would be to see if you could buy it from local Mexican restaurants—it’s probably not organic, but most restaurants make their own, and it is usually raw (though probably worth asking just in case).

I prefer chunkier salsas, so sometimes I chop half the ingredients by hand and process half in the blender, then mix the two. That seems to produce a nice texture, but still enough “sauce.” Maybe it could work for you?

• I know what you mean…. my fp does the same thing. What I do is use a couple of roma tomatoes in the fp with the cilantro, onion, etc. and then dice up cherry or grape tomatoes and mix in by hand.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

If you want a fp but money is an issue, check out www.freecycle.org. People post stuff for free and you can also post a “wanted” notice.

If electricity and/or space is the issue, check out something like Easy Vegetables Chopper.

Happy salsa making…