Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Body Odor - Detox?

SbutterAMflySbutterAMfly Raw Newbie

I’ve been about 75% raw for 27 days. I’ve also started using more natural hygiene products around the same time as going raw. Since I haven’t yet found the perfect deoderant, I only use the old chemical ridden one when I absolutely have to… and even then I hate doing it… I’m planning on running to the store tonight to see what more natural options are available there.

I think it’s been about a week since I’ve used it, and today I noticed for the first time that my body odor smells different. It seems stronger, but it may just be because it’s different that I’m smelling it as stronger. I tried defusing it by wiping my underarms with water, but that did nothing.

Could this be a detox symptom?
Should I avoid adding a deoderant to get rid of it?
If it’s detox, would doing so prevent the toxins from releasing?

Comments

• I have found that detox is very stinky especially in the underarms where all of those lymph nodes are located. I would bet that your body is just getting rid of all of the old nasties. Some suggestions from this site for natural deodorant are; the thai crystal, lemon wedges ( never tried but they say it works wonders ), and baking soda. I totally understand needing to fit in with society, smell wise that is. If you can avoid the aluminum deodorant your body will be able to rid the nasties faster. Good luck!

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

I’ve been moving steadily toward full juice fasting lately and my body odor is much stronger. I hope it gets out of my system fast! I’ve had to take to carrying deodorant with me if I’m going to be out for more than a few hours. Lemon wedges worked great for me, but they stung my arms a bit and I haven’t had the heart to use them in such cold weather.

I think natural deodorant is fine to use during detox—it’s just the antiperspirants and chemical deodorants that clog things up.

• justagirljustagirl Raw Newbie

As far as detox is concerned, I find that colonics help a lot to detox the body at a faster rate. The colon gets rid of a lot of toxic waste, but if it is not cleaned out completely, your body will find other ways to release the toxins in amounts perhaps higher than if you had a totally clean colon. Also, dry brushing the skin will help. At least with those two problems aside, your body will not have as much to get rid of necessarily in that area. Also, lymphatic massage can help it release the toxins more quickly, but again, without colonics and loads of water to remove them from your system, you may end up with underarm odor. I also find that since I went raw, my sense of smell is stronger…so it could be that you are simply more sensitive to the scent..

Lizzy208Matt_Raw
  • BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Another few options to speeeding up the detoxing that are yummy for the body and spirit is taking epson salt baths and/or saunas… Enjoy. :)

Matt_Raw
  • TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I agree with Bluedolfin on the salt baths. I swear I don’t stink anymore when I sweat, never! I don’t use conventional DEOs, either, just salt. In addition to the salt in the bath water, if I am really sweaty, I use a bath salt bar to rub under my pits, but I usually don’t have to use it.

Lizzy208
  • If you see my post about Smelling like herbs.. i think im in the same boat.. my body oder is stronger but not in a really bad way..

most health food stores do supply deos that have any of really bad stuff like aluminum and paraben.. some other stuff..

• SbutterAMflySbutterAMfly Raw Newbie

Thanks for all the great replies!

I was visiting family last night, so I stopped at a Hannafords (for the first time) hoping that they would have a natural product section where I could find something helpful.

They didn’t, so I got a “Crystal” roll on deo from their regular deo section. The ingredients don’t sound too harmful:

Purified Water (Aqua), Natural Mineral Salts, Potassium Alum, Cellulose

I think I’m going to give this a try for when I need something. I’d still prefer to go without, but it’s nice to have backup!

My sense of smell certainly has improved since I’ve become raw, but the smell I was smelling just wasn’t like anything I’ve smelled like before! I’m really glad to have those ickies getting out of me!
    yay Detox!

Lizzy208
  • gardenearthgardenearth Raw Newbie

I hear what you are saying about body odour being stronger. I have been using Tom’s Deoderant for years and it was when I started with the raw lifestyle that the deoderant wasn’t working like it used to…with the body needing to eliminate toxins I am sure that is why I notice this powerful smell…I will smell lovely once detox is complete for sure…the colonic sounds like a good suggestion as well…I haven’t had one myself but have been told by those who have that this procedure cleans you right out…you feel a lightness and emptiness and a desire to keep toxins out of your system.
    good luck with everything.

Matt_Raw
  • JenaturalJenatural Raw Newbie

It takes at least 30 days for the body to flush out. The crystal deodorants still have aluminum in them no matter what they say. I have found that adding Detox Deodorant helps. You put it on at night before you go to sleep and shower in the morning. There is kelp in the bar that they tell me dialates the sweat glands, allowing for the passage of impurities. This cannot be done by other detoxing methods because you are backed up in the underarm area. Pretty stinky the first few weeks, after that I was a cool cat. Keep in mind that you

Lizzy208
  • MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I too have had really funky body odor. It smelled like concentrated french onion soup with garlic. Could have been all the garlic and onions I ate, which I did not realize were toxic until I read a thread here,

Anyway, I read on another thread here about using fresh lemons as deodorant. I tried it and the funk was gone. Abracadabra! Sometimes it was irritating so I just starting topping it off every day with a bit of cornstarch. Now I don’t have any irritation problems.

I bought one of those dispenser for shaking out flour. It is small and has a nice handle on it. Then I went to the fabric store and bought a 1/8 yard of fake fur that had an open weave underneath and hot glued the edges to the outer top of the flour shaker. Instant underarm-corstarch dispenser. I just hold it up and brush it over the underarm after applying the lemon. For me, this has worked better than any deodorant ever. Now I keep a 1/2 lemon in the egg compartment of my fridge just for deodorant purposes. Try it, you might like it.

Lizzy208bettykleealexisp
  • amysueamysue Raw Newbie

One more suggestion – cypress essential oil – dilute it with jojoba or another oil. I get a small bottle of jojoba oil and drop lots of cypress oil in, plus whatever other oils I like and it seems to work well.

• Jenatural- Just out of curiosity how do you know the crystal deodorants have aluminum? I use the Thai Crystal and it doesn’t appear to have any hidden ingredients. I’m just curious because I personally love it, but if it truly has aluminum I want to quit using it.

• JenaturalJenatural Raw Newbie

Hi Chakra, I looked up the ingredient, ammonium ALUM, in crystal deodorants and I understand it is in the aluminum family. Somebody tried to tell me it is not a

Lizzy208ClaireT
  • miashiumiashiu Raw Newbie

Hi ladies, I want to let you know a new product that is going onto the market soon.  It is called SWAY Underarm Detox Deodorant.  It is 100% natural, absolutely aluminum-free and you'll love the texture, which feels like you are not wearing any deodorant.  You can check out their Facebook page for more information.

• bettykleebettyklee Raw Jr. Leader

I've never been on a detox but I was on a vegetarian diet for about a year and I remember smelling pretty light and good.

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

It's crystal deodorant and my own mix of essential oils for me. smile 

• XfimpgXfimpg Raw Newbie

When I started about one month ago, I noticed my feet were extra, extra smelly. The smell has gone down considerably, I think in part to the diet and also I have been doing foot bath detoxes (negative ion charge, it's called in certain circles).

As for body odor (armpit), I no longer have any since I cut meat altogether. For the times I use it "in case", I like the Lafès deodorant.

ClaireT
  • SimonSimon Raw Newbie

If you're juicing, you can add dill, parsley or coriander (cilantro) to your green juices. I've heard that helps with keeping the body smelling good. I've been lucky and missed all the bad body odor but always did do green juices with those kind of ingredients so I guess the reports of such work.

Hope that helps.

• akshayvakshayv Raw Newbie

I have to admit I had a small problem in the first week with the shoe rubbing against the tendon in the back of my leg. I developed quite the blister :( After the shoe stretched a bit,all was good. The  is so comfortable to wear and that's a good thing because I work on a cement floors and do a lot of standing and walking. orthofeet shoes are a godsend in my opinion.

ClaireT
  • walishahwalishah Raw Newbie

i used oil for my issues