mung bean sprouts

people keep talking about sprouting their mung beans themselves. What’s wrong with buying sprouts in the store? Are they not raw?

Comments

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

Sure, either way, you can buy them. They’re raw. I just like to sprout them myself.

• In the store, they tend to be over-sprouted. Many home sprouters like the way they taste better with just small roots. Also, they’re super cheap to sprout yourself.

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I just sprouted my first batch of mung sprouts last week and they are great! I put a handful on my spinach salads and even threw some in my green smoothie this morning…yum :)

• Yes i avoid store bought sprouts and do it myself becuase im a do-it-yourself kinda guy really.. nothing against store bought as long as its organic.

I do this: handful of mung, green lentils, red lentils and kamut in a big sprout jar.. they sprout together about the same time and i blend them up all week for my morning sprout smoothie..

• SunimpexbizSunimpexbiz Raw Newbie
    edited February 23

Green Mung beans are small, green beans that belong to the legume family.

They have been cultivated since ancient times. While native to India, mung beans later spread to China and various parts of Southeast Asia

Mung beans are rich in vitamins and minerals.

One cup (7 ounces or 202 grams) of boiled mung beans contains (3):

Calories: 212
    Fat: 0.8 grams
    Protein: 14.2 grams
    Carbs: 38.7 grams
    Fiber: 15.4 grams
    Folate (B9): 80% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
    Manganese: 30% of the RDI
    Magnesium: 24% of the RDI
    Vitamin B1: 22% of the RDI
    Phosphorus: 20% of the RDI
    Iron: 16% of the RDI
    Copper: 16% of the RDI
    Potassium: 15% of the RDI
    Zinc: 11% of the RDI
    Vitamins B2, B3, B5, B6 and selenium
    These beans are one of the best plant-based sources of protein. They’re rich in essential amino acids, such as phenylalanine, leucine, isoleucine, valine, lysine, arginine and more

• wilzoewilzoe Raw Newbie

These are the best legumes to start sprouting experiments with. I think shorter sprouts are eaten in certain countries like India, while longer sprouts are used in countries like Korea and China. I learnt how to sprout the longer ones by reading up a Korean cookery blog some years ago. The trick is to water them every two hours. Works well for me.