Replacement for rug shampoo machine?

TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Hi, sweeties! When I got my kitty almost 3 years ago, I stopped using almost all household cleaners and chemicals to avoid hurting her. I use mostly white vinegar as a disinfectant and that is all.

However, I don’t know what to use in my rug shampooer. I detest the liquid shampoo because it’s obviously leaving residue and it’s dangerous. The stupid company shrieks that you can only use their shampoo and suggest that anyone elses will destroy the machine, although they actually never say it. This is a crock so I was wondering if anyone has found a good home-made solution for a rug cleaning machine. I have one of these cheapies: Dirt Devil Easy STeam Delux. They’re really not steamers, just hot water. I almost tried baking soda solution but then I worried for the stupid machine.

I have to do my rugs and carpets because I go barefoot all the time and my kitty has free reign of the house! No one is allowed to wear shoes in my home but still, carpets stink after a while. Ewww.

Comments

• I don’t know why you couldn’t use a white vinegar solution in your cleaner, it shouldn’t hurt anything, that’s how they say to clean your coffeepot.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Gwenz3, I’ll definately consider the white vinegar solution!

JoyceH: Ideally, I’d love to have these disgusting carpets torn out, but the “house” I mentioned is actually an apartment and it’s subsidized. Stupid rules about having a carpet. But I do agree with you, it’s not clean by nature and the pads are not safe. Plus, capets harbor unbelievable bacteria from previous tenents and there is no safe way to really clean it ever. I really hate these floors. When I was a kid, we lived in Burma and I picked up the habit of parking myself on the floor a lot. I do a lot of my sitting (and living) on the floors, so you can imagine how much I cringe at these mustly old carpets:(

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Thank you, Joyce:-) I love her to death! She’s been on raw for over a year now. What a change! On the hidden hard-wood floors: one of my girlfriends tore up her nasty carpeting in her home and found that, too! Beautiful wood floors. Unfortunately, there is only slab concrete under this gross carpet. I’m going to be so much more careful in choosing an apartment the next time I move, yup.