seaweed salad

I love the seaweed salads at sushi restaurants and am wondering how to make it since the dressing they use is probably not raw. What seaweed do you use that’s similar to skinny pasta noodles? And does anyone have a delicious vinegar dressing to toss it with? I have a huge craving for it and am determined to make it myself!

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Watch out for seaweed that you may think is raw but isn’t. I speak from personal experience… After falling deeply in love with Rhio’s ‘mock black ink pasta with pesto’ recipe, I discovered to my disappointment that the Hiziki (or hijiki) had been steamed for a long time to make it pliable. There are some raw seaweeds, Hiziki just isn’t one of them. I don’t know about the dressing you’re talking about though, never had that seaweed salad cooked or raw before.

• SystemSystem Raw Newbie

The “skinny pasta noodle” is most probably wakame or arame. Make sure it’s dried. Zoe is right about hijiki, it’s steamed at a high temperature.

Most dressings are not raw, as they all usually contain at least two of the following ingredients: mirin, sesame oil, tamari and brown rice vinegar. There’s also usually some ginger in there.

Hope this helps. I’ll look out for some raw dressings for you noff.