Do CHIA SEEDS Sprout?

rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Do Chia Seeds actually sprout? Or do they just get the jelly-like nucleus around them and not “sprout?”

Comments

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

Yes, you can sprout them. Here are the sproutpeople’s instructions: http://www.sproutpeople.com/seed/print/chia.html

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

Yes they sprout on a Chia Head!! ahahahah

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Duh…I didn’t even think of that! Chia heads! LOL! :)
    Thanks for the link newbie. My daughter took some of our chia seeds from Shiloh Farms and soaked them, they never sprouted, just were jelly-like. Looks like we goofed by soaking them first. Thanks for the link :) We’ll do another experiment today after school…

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

my 3 yr old son likes to watch them sprout too! it’s so great to see their curiosity and appreciation grow. he tried it with pine nuts, but they didn’t do anything… I don’t know why

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I put the chia gel in my green smoothies…at least if you mess up sprouting you can use them that way :)

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Great idea on the smoothies…do they get so thick they are gross to drink then? We were dipping bananas in chia seeds and liked them dry too. I wonder if pine nuts sprout? Maybe they are like almonds and not really sprout but get puffy? Heck, it sounds like chia seeds in everything would be so healthy for us all as well as sesame seeds and hemp seeds.