Low carb?

Hi guys, I am VERY new to this and I am just trying to get my feet wet. My current diet is very low carb. I have lost 140 pounds this way. I gain weight very quickly if I eat carbs, evn good carbs such as whole wheat or brown rice. I notice that a lot of people balance their green smoothies with tons of fruit. I have been making green smoothies for me and my husband for a coulpe of days but I have been ommitting the fruit in mine. I have been adding banana extract to mask/cut the bitterness of the greens. I know the extract is not raw but I can’t handle just greens yet. I also use a bit of stevia for sweetness.I was wondering if anyone here used to low-carb and had a good transition to eating raw w/out weight gain? Any suggestions for me? Are dates low carb? CAn someone PLEASE advise me. I want to start off right. Thanks..

Comments

• Hi sgmom2, I actually lost about 100 pounds using the low carb lifestyle lol. It’s nice to see other people have too! The transition to raw was easy, and I found that I have gained back some weight, (but I also quit smoking too) I would use fruits that are lo in fructose, like berries for instance, to work on fruits in yoru diet. Greens are a must, a big must, go green all the way. Spinach is a nice transition green, it’s light, airy and very transparent in a smoothy. Young kale is also nice as well as lettuce.

• Congrats on the weight loss! As far as weight gain and a raw diet is concerned, I would worry more about eating too much fat. However, there are probably people out there who eat a ton of avocados and nuts and still manage to lose weight.

You need carbohydrates to live. Vegetables are carbohydrates. Dates are carbohydrates too. It’s probably okay to avoid super-sweet fuits like bananas and mangos because they can cause a spike in blood sugar. But berries and apples are nice sustaining fruits.

• harmonylia, thanks for the advice. I guess it’s good that I have started with all greens in my smoothies then. Congrats on the 100 pound weight loss and quitting smoking!! I bet you feel tons better.

LionMouse, I will certainly watch the fats, although these are the recipes that look most appealing,lol. I will try apples and berries and see it if affects my weight. Thanks a bunch!