Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

FRUITARIAN!!!!

13»

Comments

• To everyone who is interested in raw fresh fruitarianism, you are welcome to learn and get inspired here: http://fruitariankveta.blogspot.com/ and here: http://mangodurian.blogspot.com (If anyone believes in 100% fruit diet, and heading that way, or already there, would you like to be interviewed?)

i have lived happily on raw fresh fruit for almost 23 years and i am still euphoric.

fruit & love,
    kveta:

• modhinamodhina Raw Newbie

I definitely think it is possible, I’m going to check out the site, I am concerned about the sodium intake, which I think if you are fairly balanced you use and crave a lot less. I notice this especially when cleansing, when I can taste the natural sodium in things.
    Thank you, for your input kveta.
    Although, I don’t think too many hybridized sweet fruits are always good, and if anything climate must be an issue to our bodies.

Well everybody,
    I have some things I could use some feedback on-
    firstly, the stainless steel leeching into my water. I boil water, I also drink quite a lot of pure water every day, although it’s not ionized. I like to have tea in the morning, and I’m not sure I want to give up, I did for a while and drank sun teas that sat in the window.
    Secondly, I live in the midwest, I like some hot beverages in the winter.
    So I checked out those sites, seeems pretty tropical.
    I could live like that year round in a warm environment, but it is very cold here. I have been all raw here before for a couple of winters, and all I can say is sometimes roasted root veggies, steamed veggies and baked squash keep me alive. Seriously now folks, especially if you have to walk a mile in the snow to get somewhere cause you don’t have a car.

Thirdly, is it a sign of iron deficiency when you wake up with the taste of blood in your mouth? I read of this before on a website, but can’t remember what the deal was? Could it be that I haven’t been taking my multi-vitamin? which by the way I don’t even know if it’s raw, I know it is a food grade green pill full of veggies.
    Any thoughts on this? Could it be that I have a stainless steel poisoning-
    I’d like to laugh here but….............

Also, I would like to say to Randall, also sorry about your health issues, trust your intuition, your body will tell you what to do-in this day and age I honestly don’t think raw eggs or raw fish is a particularly good everyday thing. People, please be careful with the raw eggs, that makes me nervous.

• Frutarianism and knitting was a fad among quite a few of my fellow horticulture students (all young women) at OSU in the early ‘aughts. They all had difficulty keeping warm (hence the knitting) and were unable to keep up with others in field work during the summer. I (and others) also found them all, to the one, to be quite humourless and have poor skin—both odd and sad in young people, IMHO.

I was initially interested, but in the end, it was their dourness that turned me off – honestly it sounded a great deal like a rather complicated form of anorexia to me.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Randall, mercury toxicity has been an issue with me, too. I have been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and have lost my mobility. I had my dental amalgams removed and have tried various diets and supplements. I have seen much improvement over time, many symptoms improved or eliminated. I have learned that an optimal diet is specific to each of us. Some people do well on one diet, others do better on another. I know when something doesn’t work for me and nothing that anyone says about why a certain diet should work means that it will or does. I’ve read 100+ books on MS and diet. I’ve tried many things. It all boils down to the body healing itself when given what it needs. Finding what it needs is the hard part! I’m always searching. I wish you well, Allison

info. on dental amalgams and mercury toxicity: http://www.flcv.com/indexa.html

• roadrunnerroadrunner Raw Newbie

So Jmasterson,
    How are you doing? Still on just fruit? I am and thriving!! And by the way fruit DOES have all the nutrients we need. Too many people fret over nutrients and vitamins bla bla bla rather than just living life and worring about food 24/7. Food is just fuel for life not a hobby. Everybody has their own little theory on what diet is best and what foods we need etc. etc. For me its fruit.
    When we were put here on this earth we ate what nature gave us which still exists today. No we dont have the garden of eden anymore but we make due with what we have is the way I see it.People
    think theres too much sugar in fruit well Fruit sugar has a very different effect on the body than pure sucrose (refined sugar). Fruit contains fructose, which has a very different effect on the pancreas and blood sugar levels. Fruit has the sugar our bodies know how to use not the MAN MADE sugar or refined sugar. Kvetas post there has a great site and hes a thriving fruitarian. And yea sure what works for one may not work for another. this whole RAW food thing to me is a JOURNEY for all of us until we find what works for each one of us on our own.www.fruitarianfitness.com is another great site and a good example of fruitarianism.
    Everyone has their opinions but what it boils down to is what works for the individual.

• Great post, atragicvillian.

You wrote: “They

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I think to each their own. I personaly don’t think fruititarian is for everybody, I also don’t think raw is for everybody. If you hate it and are going to be miserable eating in a particular way, don’t do it! (maybe I am too easy going!) The earth has provided us with a myriad of edibles, I personally think we should partake in all she has to offer.(not meat though) If we were only meant to eat one particular thing, or group of things, then that’s all there would be out there.

But hey,everyone has a different body and different requiments, so if you thrive on it, more power to you.

• Hello,
    i would like to share my experience with you:
    i wanted too to be a fruitarian, but i couldn’t. It was OK only in the summer, but during the winter, it was not possible (i live in the south of France, in Cannes, with a mediterranean climate). I also wanted to be a raw vegan, but it was not OK.
    Now, after about 10 years of veganism, and about 12 of veg, i include some dairies, and i eat mostly cooked.
    I think that someone who is in good health, has a good gene pool and live in hot climates, can live some years with a raw vegan/fruitarian diet, till there are health problems.

In fact, i believe that the diet is just one part of life.
    Bye everybody ;)
    fred

• Ok… I have read everyone’s post on this topic and am quite fascinated with everyone’s opinions/experiences.

Randall, may your health transition to the best it ever has been. I hope and pray for your amazing turn around and your story is well respected and words definitely taken with the utmost consideration.

I see a lot of people talking about Richard Blackman’s experience with being a fruitarian… while he does talk about eating mostly fruits, that is not his most important message. It is to be ACTIVE! Move, walk, exercise and remain fit. Sure our ancestors may or may not have eaten meat but the fact remains they were always active.

I myself when first transitioning to raw felt absolutely horrendous. Many will say it was detoxification and I believe part of it was. However, my activity was very limited. I now spend a LOT of my time in the gym with cardio, lifting weights and just general fitness (push ups, sit ups, etc.). While I eat more than I used to, I feel absolutely amazing. My detoxification symptoms are way more minimal than they used to be. Think about it… if you wish to eat like our ancestors we should physically (in some way) also act like them. You cannot have a fantastic diet with little to no fitness and expect to be healthy (over the long haul).

Of course… that is only my opinion. Take from it what you will and I’m wishing each and everyone, as usual, wonderful health. :)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

fred, i am from antibes!

fruit is super cleansing and any body that is TOTALLY clean could theoretically survive and thrive on just fruit in my opinion. unwise to move too quickly i would think though.

• Pianissima, i would love to see you: fred.77@orange.fr :)...i have to go…i come back, in theory ;) After my experience, i did a research with the words “former veg / raw vegan / vegan / fruitarian” or “danger …” and there are some sites like these ones: http://naturalhygienesociety.org/diet3.html where it is said about the raw veganism: I

• Hi. I’m not fruitarian, but I have a question for someone who says fruitarianism left him open to unhealthy toxicity.

Randall (Gentry of Sacto CA). I know this is a little late in the game, now that you don’t follow Dr Bass anymore and are well. But why do you say, “The late Dr. Stanley S. Bass”? He’s alive and well. Do you mean late in some other way?

Samilicious, I don’t feel good with stainless steel either, I prefer wooden chopsticks, hands, glass, etc.

123, I empathize with your struggle and am happy to hear of your results!

Y’all have a great weekend :D

Miss Feather

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

To all who are worried about being diabetic: Yes, you can get diabetes from eating too much fruit. I know it sounds crazy, but you can eat too much fruit, and I think 20 bananas is a little wacky. I don’t eat that much fruit, and I don’t think it’s healthy. I am a fruitarian.

And to the people who think you can eat greens on a fruitarian diet: No, you can’t. Greens are not fruit. Many people who think they are fruitarian eating greens are not, just like roadrunner said before a true fruitarian does not eat greens. That includes green smoothies.

As far as kids being on only fruit, it does not have enough protein to allow kids to reach their optimum growth. Parents who want their kids to be fruitarians should give them brewers or nutritional yeast. It has a complete protein. But otherwise, fruit has so many nutrients.

• Hi Feather, About “The late Dr Stanley S. Bass”, that was a typo resulting from alot of cutting and pasting. I’m well aware that he’s still alive. I just corrected that in the original post. Sorry about the confusion. Also, just to give everyone an update, since I last posted, I found that I got a number of parasites during my adventures in raw dieting; trichurisis spp. (aka whipworm) and toxoplasmosis. Who knows what else I may have gotten that remains under the radar? I’m still dealing with many of the same health problems and then some. I made the mistake of going to a “natural/psychic/energy healer” who supposedly “heals with massage” (I wasn’t aware of this prior to going (I wouldn’t have gone if I had been)) and have had relentless and widespread muscle pain ever since. Beware guys, charlatans abound ready to take your money and f* you over.

Peace, Randall Gentry

“Assume Nothing — Analyze Everything”

• abigailmabigailm Raw Newbie
    sobizaar said:

i was a fruitarian for a while but the problem with fruitarianism is that it doesn’t give you all of the nutrients you need, and the main problem is that the fruits we have today we have grown to be sweet. for example, before we messed with them, apples were pretty awful fruit to eat, not sweet and very small.

but if you feel good, then keep on it, i hope you keep feeling well, but if you decide to come off i hope you can stay raw and healthy :)

That is a SAD(standard american diet) way of looking at fruit. Almost all fruits are sweet. Northern fruits are more sour or bitter, and of course there are different types of fruits, but most fruits in the world are all incredibly sweet. Most fruits in the world come from more tropical climates. There are so many fruits to eat in a rainforest and in tropical climates, your mind would be blown. Some taste like key lime pie, some taste like vanilla ice cream or flan, some taste like sweet chocolate, its limitless. 

I will only name a very small percentage here: Jocote, ice cream bean, Manzana de Agua, Guanabana, mamey, Maracuya, passion fruit, Soncoya, Caimito, Fruta de Pan, soursop, Guaba(not Guava), Guanábana, sausage fruit, rambutan, mangosteen, jackfruit, longan, tamarindo, mamones, granadilla, caimitos, anona, maranon, nanzi, papaya, Pejibaye, rose-apple, sapodilla, zapote, black sapote(chocolate pudding fruit), persimmon, mangos(hundreds of varieties), bananas(hundreds of varieties), jujubes, cherimoyas, Buddha's hand citron, star fruit, dragon fruit, surinam cherries, durian, coconuts(though coconuts aren't really a fruit, but a nut),  seagrapes, cocoplums, avocado, figs, dates, melons etc... etc.... etc.... 

People in the tropical regions have been living on mostly fruit for far longer than any man has been living on meat. It is senseless to live on meat when there is a paradise of fruit on this earth. Completely senseless. Why kill if there is no need for killing. There are so many fruits in these regions, you people wouldnt believe the amount of nutrition you can get. We are starving for nutrition compared to these tropical regions. I live in florida, which is a sub-tropical region, and tropical in south florida. The amount of fruit that grows here alone can feed ao many people. We have two mango trees in the yard that could feed the whole block, they produce so much fruit, and there are mango trees all over the place, not just the ones in our yard. The common things that people grow here are papaya, mangos, star fruit, bananas, guava, sapote, sapodilla, florida pear, surinam cherries, coconuts, seagrapes, etc... since this is a subtropical to tropical state, we can grow pretty much anything here. I personally grow guava, star fruit, mangos, avocados, jackfruit, figs, etc. You cant say fruits werent originally sweet. We have at the most 20 varieties of fruit in our regular chain grocery stores, not much compared to our local farmers markets, which have at least 50 varieties of fruit around. If you think you cant get your nutrients from fruit, you must not know what fruit is. And to say fruits werent originally sweet, my my.... you need to get out a little. I dont know what kind of fruitarian you were. Lol. Must have eaten apples, oranges, and bananas for every meal. I dont even look at apples as fruit, let alone food. If you really want to be a fruitarian, you have to go explore. You cant stay stuck in the SAD(standard american diet) world, which sees fruit as only apples, bananas, and oranges, mere side items that are rarely touched over more processed junk foods that all come in a wrapper, can, or box. Of course you arent going to get the proper nutrition that way, sticking with only a handful of varieties of fruit. EXPLORE our fruity world. Most fruitarians live where the fruit is, and always have. 

TammiTrue