Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Why not the entire Wheat Grass?

Hi everyone,
I was just wondering why it isnt suggested to consume the entire wheat grass (blended perhaps) and that its always wheat grass “juice” Is there something wrong with consuming the entire grass? Haven’t tried it yet. Just curious. I’m a big believer in whole foods despite the juicing popularity. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

The fiber is undigestible.

• Wheatgrass is very woody and fibrous and not at all suited for the long complex intestines of humans. Animals that graze on grass such as cows, horses, goats, hippopotamus, etc. have short intestines. Cows actually have four stomachs, allowing them to chew, digest, regurgitate and re-chew the cud of grass. You too can chew wheatgrass and still obtain amazing results, just don’t swallow the pulp. If it’s whole wheat grass you want, try it in the pulverized powder or pill form. I am always on the go and I find the pill form convient. True enough you do lose some of the enzymatic benefits from fresh wheatgrass but I have known people to take only the tablets and resolve major health challenges from breat cancer to sleep apnea. thewheatgrasslady

• you can chew the grass and swallow the juice but the fiber is tooooo fibrous to swallow, and in order to get even an ounce of juice you would have to chew on the grass all day, and i think your jaw would get pretty tired.believe me . I too am a person who believes in the whole food. I eat all of the apple core seeds all. and I eat all of the squash seeds skin all (I think you get the picture) but I tried chewing on wheat grass all day and I got very tired and didnt have time for anything else and I wasnt even consuming enough wheat grass to survive on. so when it comes to wheat grass I juice.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Thanks for the advice. So even blending wheatgrass in a powerful blender would not breakdown the fibers efficiently for our bodies to digest?????

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Maybe you can blend it with some water and strain it through a nutmilk bag (like the Juice Feast).

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

If you blend it in a high speed blender, it seems to me that you are breaking down the fiber. When i have done so, the resulting drink is completely smooth. I have used it in my smoothies and i just don’t get why it shouldn’t be acceptable. I thought that’s why smoothies are so important: we cannot chew and digest the appropriate amount of greens so we blend them with a high speed blender. Does it matter how long or short our digestive tract is once pulp is completely blended?

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

That’s what I thought as well, and that’s why I asked. I do have a Vitamix. So it seems like wheatgrass is too fibrous to be blended and then absorbed by the body when consumed, right?

• i agre with 123

• valerieavaleriea Raw Newbie

Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering why it isnt suggested to consume the entire wheat grass (blended perhaps) and that its always wheat grass “juice” Is there something wrong with consuming the entire grass? Haven’t tried it yet. Just curious. I’m a big believer in whole foods despite the juicing popularity. Thanks in advance for any comments.

• valerieavaleriea Raw Newbie

I'm wondering the same question too.  I'm planning on getting a juicer, however I tried blending the wheatgrass using my Ninja blender (single serve cup) and then added my usual blend of spinach/kale/pineapple/cucumbers/etc. prev. blended in the big pitcher and added and blended together in the single size server (since you need to consume wheatgrass almost immediately after cutting) long enough that it poured and went down so smoothly, no grass strands or pieces it blended so well it was unnoticeable actually.  So I was wondering, if it's just that after juicing you rid the pulp and un-digestible pieces if this is really only a "digesting" problem when consuming, the wholesome or wholefoods way?.

ClaireT
  • Anwavla'aksaAnwavla'aksa Raw Newbie

Picture the gray-bearded grandpa with the hand-made straw hat and a sprig of grass shaking from his teeth. We all know this quintessential and cliche image of a southern American farmer, but if you replace the man under the straw hat with a dark brown African human and the dead yellow stick in his mouth with a freshly picked rich green stock of wheat grass, the image will only then be historically quintessential. You see, chewing on straw actually has its origin in American slave culture. Needless to say, slaves never enjoyed many work related benefits, and in fact the overwhelming majority either starved to death or lived most of their lives profoundly malnourished. What’s a dying slave to do if he don’t feel like dying working in a wheat field? Pluck one or two individuals of grass (literally the only food and water available to him), pop ‘em roots first into his maw, and chew from sun up ’til sundown until he adsorbs at least enough nutrients to remain conscious, albeit a non-the-less hellish consciousness in spite of the fact. He uses his molars to pulverize the plant one slow inch at a time letting the water from the roots turn on his saliva glands full-blast until the whole of his mouth is filled with enzyme-rich fluid, tiny pulls of which he can periodically swallow throughout the day. Saliva is digestive fluid after all, and one’s mouth is potentially the first of two stomachs available to a human. If you wanna eat raw wheat grass, however, I’d recommend you soak it in water and then put it in a Ninja or a Bullet or some shit like that…turn it into smoothy town madness, ‘cause the aforementioned method of the slave will not leave your mouth with much room for conversation. And actually, speaking of soaking plants in water, an even better way to make unpalatable shit malleable and digestible is through fermentation! Just sayin… Let lil tiny microbes digest your food for you, and THEN eat it ;) The beautiful benefit of breaking plants down before you swallow them is in the deconstruction of the greater molecular matrix freeing minerals, vitamins, proteins, and amino acids which would otherwise pass through your system unabsorbed, and you would simply poop them out. The miracle of fermentation is in the bacteria who participate proficiently in this dismantling process, if cultivated with enough care, better than your own bile (which is teeming with bacteria BTWz). Furthermore, by introducing your system to these “pet” bacterias, your own bacteria will evolve and you will inevitably develop the capability to digest things, which before this integration you could not. Those with gluten allergies, for instance, will soon be able to deconstruct glutens, which are merely elastic molecular matrices that hold three-dimensional forms in order to house nutrients. The implications are revolutionary, and the research is fulfilling and enjoyable. I would encourage you to go learn more about the magic of things like sauerkraut, kimchi, water kefir, sourdough, vinegar, and the list goes on!

kathrynd