Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Ugh!

teadeteade Raw Newbie

So, I’ve been doing pretty good being raw.
I had a salad today and some (alot) of peanut butter for lunch..
which really grossed me out.
Now I feel like crap..
I’m considering getting rid of all super-high fats in my diet (nuts)
but I also don’t get full from vegetables… I have to limit my sugar (fruits) because I’m addicted to sugar and I need to learn how to cope with that…
So, I’m considering adding in cooked beans…
I really don’t know what else to do, because raw beans just don’t taste good..

I mean, if I soak and cook them (instead of canned), its still healthy-ish..
plus anything I ever make, I always make from scratch, and never processed..
I’d love to hear advice…
or opinions.
I feel really nasty right now with all this fat.. and overeating.
Help!

Comments

• I just started being raw, so I’m not exactly a valid source, but I would say go for it, doing that has much healthier than using canned beans. It isn’t like it is that horribly bad for you.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

have you ever tried soaked and/or sprouted buckwheat? it makes a fabulous base for a delicious salad with avocado, fresh cilantro, mushrooms, shredded carrots, tomato, etc…whatever your heart desires! and its so filling and delicious, as well as being a complete protein and an excellent source of fiber, among other things.
    i would pick up some raw buckwheat groats (pretty cheap too), soak em for about 24 hours changing the soak water once, rinse them really well to get rid of the slightly gooey liquid, and get creative!

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

Thanks both! I’m definitely not jumping into any bad foods (yet, lol)
    its amazing what alittle crap can do to you.

I’m going to try buckwheat! I’ve had buckwheat flour and wasn’t the biggest fan of it,
    but maybe my taste buds have changed alittle, and maybe its different raw.
    Thank you soooo much for your suggestions.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Instead of eliminating nuts completely, as they are a good source of essential fats, leave out peanut butter which is actually a legume (bean). It could be that you don’t make the enzymes to digest those. Processed peanut butter also contains white sugar and usually, canola oil (made from rapeseed and was used in WWII as mustard gas!). Digestive enzyme supplements might help you.

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

Well, it was actually almond butter…
    lol.
    It was only almonds, but the almonds were cooked…
    I can’t eat jarred peanut butter (it doesn’t taste like anything!)

I really think it was how much I ate… it kind of felt like I chugged a bottle of oil! took forever to digest!

But thanks for the suggestion!

• As a raw vegan for 7 years, I am slowly learning that eating lots and lots of fruits and low on the vegetables and hardly any fats, is the best way to go. Fruit is easy on the digestion, flows through the body quickly giving you energy and feeling great! What a way to go!! Bring on the fruit…..

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Why not try going 100% raw for a couple of months without restricting yourself in any other way?
    I found that cutting out the cooked foods entirely and eating anything as long as it is raw was the perfect springboard into raw food. I do believe that if you go 100% for 2-3 months it makes it extremely hard to go back to eating junk.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

teade… it’s easy to indulge and then blame the food, but really it’s just “moderation” that went out the window. you might try eating raw almonds (or nuts) instead of the butters as you’ll be able to moderate better. also, avocados won’t leave you feeling gross in my experience. have you tried proper food combining? this might be a good tool… i was a little intimidated at first, but i use this simplified one and find that i don’t have to even think about it anymore, it becomes automatic…

http://www.lytnyc.com/fyi_xml/ComboSheet.pdf

hope that helps.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

teade,

The diet you describe is similar to the one Dr. Fuhrman recommends. (drfuhrman.com) I’ve read his books and I like him because he’s a naturopath and MD. I don’t agree with everything he says, but I do know many folks who thrive on that diet. I’d estimate it’s about 80% raw.

Panda, most long term raw vegans I read about agree with you. I used to read their reports and think I could never do that, never do without all the nuts etc. But when I try it, it’s remarkably easy and satisfying. Trouble is, it’s hard for me to find enough variety of fruits in the winter. Apples, pears, and bananas just don’t do it for me.