Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

how to store celery

i just bought celery at this saturday’s farmers market, I went to use it today to make a quick snack and it moved like jello! Does it really go bad that quickly?

Comments

• Hey, You can rejuvenate the celery by putting it in a bowl of ice water and it will crisp up again. I store mine in green bags.HTH

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I have kept celery for a couple of weeks in aluminum foil. I reuse until it is too shredded to cover the next bunch. Anybody use any of those products that are supposed to really extend produce life?

• I take a tall pitcher (tupperware) and fill it up with water. Clean your celery, drop it in, and have yourself a crispy tall stalk of celery whenever you want!

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

I have found storing celery in water is the way to go also.

• Some of you may remember (when we were kids) a fun experiment where you could put celery in water with food coloring. You could see the colored water traveling up the stalks! I’ll bet that if you put celery in a water/beet juice mixture, it would get red stripes in it, rehydrate and taste like beets! I’ll have to try that one…

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

wow, I’d like to know how beet-flavored celery turns out! Yumm.

• They are not supposed to go bad that quickly. I am an avid eater of celery. I like to keep them in plastic bags, they can stay fresh for up to a week. but once out of those plastic bags, they do go bad very quickly.

• I heard that celery doesn’t last very long, and if it is stored to long it can become toxic. Let me do some research to where I heard this so I can post it.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Me too kiwi. I either read or heard on one of my CDs that when celery is limp and no longer fresh and crisp it becomes carcinogenic and you should throw it out! I do not remember who said it, but if I find it I will post it.

I do what ajc does, store it in water. If you have a tall container that you can put fresh water in the bottom and sit the celery upright (in the fridge), it will remain crispy for 1-2 weeks (it rarely lasts that long, we eat it :)).

• That’s a good idea soaking it in water. I’m going to start doing that! Thanks

• I’m all for trying the soaking it in a different type of juice to see if it takes on that flavor. Maybe carrot and onion and some garlic. Might be like edible veggie soup in one plant. We’ll see :).