Dehydrators and plastic

Hi everyone!

I’m new to this forum and am trying to decide on a dehydrator. I’m totally paraoid when it comes to plastic, as I know it can leach chemicals when subjected to heat (and that most, if not all dehydrators use plastic trays). Is there a brand I can use to minimize this effect?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I went through the same thing. There is one brand of stainless steel called The Sausage Maker. www.susasagemaker.com They make a nice stainless steel model. I did end up with the Excalibur only because even the most fastidious raw foodest like Gabriel Cousens uses it. I must say, my regular oven works great and it has a dehydrator setting and I also use my toaster oven since I can control the temperature. Many times the Excalibur is just too big, noisy and cumbersome.If I am preparing a small batch of something, these alternatives work great!

• SueSue Raw Newbie

Hi tortue, and welcome. I have to agree with dynamiccoach, I use an excaliber dehydrator. I don’t think the low heat is enough to cause any significant plastic leeching into the food.

• Thank you to you both! I was leaning towards Excalibur—this totally puts my mind to ease =)

• SueSue Raw Newbie

You’re so welcome! I find the more I can help someone with my own experience, the more I am helped.